Children's safety

Exlicor

Local time
12:51 AM
Hi! I'm curious, when your children are cooking with you, what's your biggest concern with them? Is it handling knifes, or being near hot metal? What product would you like to counter these concerns?

Ha...besides the above concerns, my biggest concern is that they WASH THEIR HANDS. There has literally never been a time I've worked with kids (including my teenagers) that I don't have to ask if they've washed their hands yet. The reaction is always the same: they seem surprised at first, but then they go and wash their hands. How many times to I have to remind them? Apparently every time is the answer.

I also frequently wash my hands while I'm preparing food (to avoid cross-contamination and messes), and I also make sure to point this out if I have little helpers. But, that first wash is the most important. I would say, you don't know where their hands have been, but you probably do have an idea.

Ha...besides the above concerns, my biggest concern is that they WASH THEIR HANDS. There has literally never been a time I've worked with kids (including my teenagers) that I don't have to ask if they've washed their hands yet. The reaction is always the same: they seem surprised at first, but then they go and wash their hands. How many times to I have to remind them? Apparently every time is the answer.

I also frequently wash my hands while I'm preparing food (to avoid cross-contamination and messes), and I also make sure to point this out if I have little helpers. But, that first wash is the most important. I would say, you don't know where their hands have been, but you probably do have an idea.

I too wash my hands multiple times while cooking. Grandkids are pretty good too, even after peeing on the lemon trees. They have always been encouraged to do this as the urine is supposed to be good for the tree. It's funny watching the 3 boys lined up around the tree peeing,lol.

Russ

I too wash my hands multiple times while cooking. Grandkids are pretty good too, even after peeing on the lemon trees. They have always been encouraged to do this as the urine is supposed to be good for the tree. It's funny watching the 3 boys lined up around the tree peeing,lol.

Russ

NOW YOU TELL ME! That's why my citrus trees are failing to thrive!

I now have to find some little neighborhood boys, since I'm certainly not going to do this... and I'm going to have to move them (the trees) from the deck, too!

I don't have children, but from what I've observed, (and also remember from my own childhood) let children learn to cut soft things with dinner plateware knives, before moving them to something more detrimental to fingers. We learned to wash, dry, hand-mix, and dole out cookie dough (and other things that get doled out) prior to learning the more hazardous stuff. Different children will develop differently. Don't lick cookie or cake dough off of fingers without washing up before doing anything else. Yes, hand-washing. Keep them clear of sharp moving objects, ranges and cooktops. I think one also has to gauge the mood of the child that day, especially younger ones.

I do think at one stage a child WILL learn that that cooktop IS hot, from direct experience. The hope is to minimize the pain of that experience. My cats over the years have also learned this...

Anyhow, back into the washing up early and often thoughts here - when I cook for myself, I do get lax (although when handling chicken or just coming from the loo, I'm very OCD even if it's just me)!

If I'm cooking for others -- I get OCD out the wazoo! Total scrubdowns early and often and then again!

NOW YOU TELL ME! That's why my citrus trees are failing to thrive!

I now have to find some little neighborhood boys, since I'm certainly not going to do this... and I'm going to have to move them (the trees) from the deck, too!

Lol, it goes back 40 years when we used to pee on my friends tree, a huge massive lemon tree. We have 2 trees, one at front and one at the back.

Russ

Seeing this thread about safety, I dropped a small bowl a week ago in the kitchen, it shattered into thousands of pieces. I thought I swept it all up. I even asked the wife to wet mop the floor to get anything I missed. She didn't. I'm always bare feet 24/7 at home. Anyway while cooking for friends last night I got up to do the garlic bread when our friend Cheryl said omg, your foots bleeding. There was a pile of blood under the table where I was sitting and a trail over the floor. I put my foot up and a plaster was applied. All good now.

Russ

Seeing this thread about safety, I dropped a small bowl a week ago in the kitchen, it shattered into thousands of pieces. I thought I swept it all up. I even asked the wife to wet mop the floor to get anything I missed. She didn't. I'm always bare feet 24/7 at home. Anyway while cooking for friends last night I got up to do the garlic bread when our friend Cheryl said omg, your foots bleeding. There was a pile of blood under the table where I was sitting and a trail over the floor. I put my foot up and a plaster was applied. All good now.

Russ

Glass is a strange thing when it shatters. It seems to go everywhere and is in tiny shards. The story you tell paints a graphic picture.

Russ
As soon as I get home from work, the shoes and socks come off. I, too, have found slivers of shattered glassware the hard way. Ceramics aren’t nearly so bad. Still, I’m not changing my ways.

Back
Top Bottom