Chili

Dad always made his chili with meat, no beans. I followed suit.

BUT three years back, I had a Cinco de Mayo party with vegetarians in attendance. And a lot of people had a lot of food restrictions, few of which actually dovetailed with restrictions other folk had. (So I set up a taco bar where people could mix and match as they chose.)

Decided I needed some Chili, too - so I made just one large pot - of a vegetarian chili - only one person was allergic to beans, so he could fill himself at the taco bar.

I made it again recently this summer at a Social Distancing get together with about a third of the number of people - the photo below:

Served with rice for under, and the toppings you see to the right. Sour cream, two shredded cheeses, a hot sauce for the folks who like some heat, scallions/green onions, and cilantro. My vegetarian chili (which in itself is vegan if you don't use the sour cream or cheeses) has three types of beans, and some butternut squash in there.

View attachment 49713

I will probably continue to make my omnivore chili without beans, but I probably will have less need to make that, than I want to make the vegetarian one. PS, that was WAY too much rice there!

I should really post this recipe here...

Adding - the beans I used: black beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, all in this case from cans.

I always have rice available, and I have never used chocolate - but this sounds like a great idea! NO crackers, NO pasta. I could be talked into cornbread.

It is SOOOO much easier to have a food bar set up and let people do whatever they want. I even let my kids do it with a setup for pizzas. A local pizzeria near our town had a Tuesday night special. It cost $5 and each kid could roll out their own dough and put on sauce and their toppings and watch it go in the brick ovens. They enjoyed it so I started doing it at home for them. I don't think I'd ever do another "sit down" type of meal with a large number of guests. As you noted, there are just too many individual wants/needs.

Your chili looks yummy. I hope you post the recipe.

" Dad always made his chili with meat, no beans. "

veddy curious! the usual debate is "chili with or without meat"
searching
Chili con carne
shows it's "chili" with meat, usually beef

chili no beans sounds more like bolognese . . . with new world peppers . . .

Dad always made his chili with meat, no beans. I followed suit.

BUT three years back, I had a Cinco de Mayo party with vegetarians in attendance. And a lot of people had a lot of food restrictions, few of which actually dovetailed with restrictions other folk had. (So I set up a taco bar where people could mix and match as they chose.)

Decided I needed some Chili, too - so I made just one large pot - of a vegetarian chili - only one person was allergic to beans, so he could fill himself at the taco bar.

I made it again recently this summer at a Social Distancing get together with about a third of the number of people - the photo below:

Served with rice for under, and the toppings you see to the right. Sour cream, two shredded cheeses, a hot sauce for the folks who like some heat, scallions/green onions, and cilantro. My vegetarian chili (which in itself is vegan if you don't use the sour cream or cheeses) has three types of beans, and some butternut squash in there.

View attachment 49713

I will probably continue to make my omnivore chili without beans, but I probably will have less need to make that, than I want to make the vegetarian one. PS, that was WAY too much rice there!

I should really post this recipe here...

Adding - the beans I used: black beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, all in this case from cans.

I always have rice available, and I have never used chocolate - but this sounds like a great idea! NO crackers, NO pasta. I could be talked into cornbread.

Yup, sounds on point, Mountain Cat!!

I like to eat chili over rice with some corn bread on the side, & with all the fixins!!!

Back
Top Bottom