Chipotle paste and sauce

Amateur1

Local time
10:46 PM
I came across a Hairy bikers recipe for chili using quorn instead of beef. It says to use a tbsp of chipotle paste. Since I eat kosher, I couldn't get hold of the paste, so have some chipotle sauce. How much sauce is the equivalent of a tbsp of paste?

This is the sauce I am using.
Amazon.co.uk

When subbing in tomato sauce for tomato paste, Chef Google says 2-3 tablespoons, so I'd try that, that should get you there. :)

That Tabasco Chipotle sauce is pretty potent. I'd add a little at a time, until you find the level of heat you want.

CD

I would start with a tablespoon or even less. There is a good chance the paste they are talking about is the adobo the chipotles come in. We'd have to see the recipe to be sure. The paste in chipotles in adobo is a mixture of vinegar and other things, and picks up flavor from the chipotles. The tobasco chipotle more than likely has actual pureed chipotles in it, so consequently may be a lot spicier. You can always add more if need be, but can't take away.

I came across a Hairy bikers recipe for chili using quorn instead of beef. It says to use a tbsp of chipotle paste. Since I eat kosher, I couldn't get hold of the paste, so have some chipotle sauce. How much sauce is the equivalent of a tbsp of paste?

This is the sauce I am using.
Amazon.co.uk

Just wondering why chipotle paste isn't kosher?

The recipe is here. I've made this a few times and then frozen it.
Should I unfreeze in the microwave or on a hob?
Should I adjust any of the ingredients eg the spices, so that it maintains its taste after freezing and reheating?
Proper chilli recipe | Eat Your Books

Last edited:
The recipe is here. I've made this a few times and then frozen it.
Should I unfreeze in the microwave or on a hob?
Should I adjust any of the ingredients eg the spices, so that it maintains its taste after freezing and reheating?
Proper chilli recipe | Eat Your Books

The link only works in full if you subscribe. There is no need to adjust anything simply because you froze the dish and it doesn't matter how you defrost it. I normally put the frozen dish on the kitchen counter (or in the fridge) and allow it to defrost

The chipotle I saw in Marks and Spencer had wine. More generally, I went to IS IT KOSHER? UK and typed in chipotle

M&S chipotle paste contains wine vinegar (not wine).
White Wine Vinegar (contains Sulphites), Demerara Sugar, Water, Tomato Paste, Dried Chipotle Chilli (9%), Onion Purée, Balsamic Vinegar (contains Sulphites), Garlic Purée, Rapeseed Oil, Smoked Paprika, Chipotle Chilli Powder (2.5%), Salt

Question for you Amateur1: Is wine vinegar non kosher? What defines a kosher vinegar (or wine)?

The link only works in full if you subscribe. There is no need to adjust anything simply because you froze the dish and it doesn't matter how you defrost it. I normally put the frozen dish on the kitchen counter (or in the fridge) and allow it to defrost

M&S chipotle paste contains wine vinegar (not wine).
White Wine Vinegar (contains Sulphites), Demerara Sugar, Water, Tomato Paste, Dried Chipotle Chilli (9%), Onion Purée, Balsamic Vinegar (contains Sulphites), Garlic Purée, Rapeseed Oil, Smoked Paprika, Chipotle Chilli Powder (2.5%), Salt

Question for you Amateur1: Is wine vinegar non kosher? What defines a kosher vinegar (or wine)?
Morning Glory , Did my reply answer your question?

To answer your original question: you should add the Tabasco Chilpotle Sauce little by little, until you feel comfortable with the heat level.simple as that. a Chilpotle is actually a smoked jalapeño pepper - but since tabasco sauce is a fermented hot sauce, I don´t really think the process is conducive to a good Chilpotle sauce. For commercial brands, I´d go for Cholula or a tin of La Costeña chilpotles next time.

Back
Top Bottom