Chips, Not Fries!

That makes absolutely no sense to me. But then different countries, different ideas.
I cannot imagine having to take fish and chips home to eat them.
That to me would lead to soggy fish and cold chips. Or how do you keep the food hot?

Chips (Uk) are only good if they are hot.
There is a growing trend now to put fish and chips in polystyrene boxes....not sure if this keeps them hotter for longer (they used to be wrapped up in paper - probably still are in certain places).

I agree with you that it is problematic to take away in terms of keeping it hot for long enough. I guess their home is nearby and they drive. It is not odd to see people eating chips as they are walking...especially after pubs close!

There is a growing trend now to put fish and chips in polystyrene boxes....not sure if this keeps them hotter for longer (they used to be wrapped up in paper - probably still are in certain places).

I agree with you that it is problematic to take away in terms of keeping it hot for long enough. I guess their home is nearby and they drive. It is not odd to see people eating chips as they are walking...especially after pubs close!
Our closest fish and chips place is about 3 km away. And if you add in the lights and traffic you are looking at a minimum of 15 minutes drive time.

Didn't they used to wrap it in butcher paper and newspaper?

Health & Safety, their could be anything in the newspapers. Even the greaseproof paper they use now isn't as greaseproof.

Yes they did. And yes, we used to eat them walking home after the pub's shut (23:00). There always seemed to be a chippy next to or very near to the pubs in those days. And where I lived you had the choice of cod/haddock and/or chips. Nowt else. Although I understand there were some chippies serving pickled onions also.

Nearly all fried by "Frank Ford" as well. One busy man!

Yes they did. And yes, we used to eat them walking home after the pub's shut (23:00). There always seemed to be a chippy next to or very near to the pubs in those days. And where I lived you had the choice of cod/haddock and/or chips. Nowt else. Although I understand there were some chippies serving pickled onions also.
....and VERY large gherkins....oh and pickled eggs, as I recall!

French fries are just thin chips aren't they, i.e. the size of them is all it means?
"French-fried potatoes are batonnet or allumette-cut deep-fried potatoes"

Back
Top Bottom