Chips or Bars?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:36 AM
When looking for Chocolate (White, Milk or Dark) or Butterscotch and other stuff, do you prefer chips or bars?

I just bought some White Chocolate Chips and Butterscotch Chips for use in the Tumeric Challenge. I find it sometimes depends on your purpose.

Well, if you want to make biscuits (cookies) with chocolate bits in them its pretty obvious that chocolate chips are best or at any rate easier. But if the chocolate is going to be melted down I don't suppose it matters - except that quality chocolate with high 70% plus cocoa content is more often found in bars and there is generally more choice on %.

Also, you can make chocolate curls or shards with bars.

I find bars to be better all around as they can be melted down like chips, but also shaved as the poster above mentioned. And when you want intact chocolate you can chop up a bar and you get all sorts of different chocolate textures in your final baked good.

It's Bars this time...

IMG_6740.JPG

If only I can keep from just plain eating them straight up.

Chips if I want them to stay whole, like in cookies. Bars if I want to melt or have big chunks in cookies. There are also cacao nibs that will stay whole if baked or can be ground or melted.

We have cakes of chocolate or chips, chips for baking, whole blocks for eating.i only like mint chocolate. But I don't have a sweet tooth so I can take or leave it. I put chips in my brownie.

Russ

There are two other options for adding Chocolate to recipes - Cocoa Powder and Cococa Butter.

Cocoa Powder can be mixed with Butter, Milk and Powdered Sugar. The amount of milk determines whether the Chocolate will be light or dark. Honey and Vanilla can also be added.

Cocoa Butter is used to make White Chocolate. Mixing it with Cocoa Powder, Honey and Vanilla is the typical method.

Using Cocoa Powder and Cocoa Butter may be less expensive than buying Bars or Chips.

I hardly ever cook with chocolate. One exception - chocolate cornflakes (loved them as a kid) with dark chocolate.

Other than that I occasionally keep a bar of chocolate in the fridge just for eating. One bar could last me 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom