Choose an epitaph

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:22 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
What would your epitaph be? Or what would you like it to be, which might not amount to the same thing? For my part, I think something along the lines of "Didn't die wondering" would fit the bill (pun intended).

Have never thought about it and have not the slightest idea ..

Interesting question ..

Mine would probably should be 'If she could live her life again she would change everything'. Most people say they wouldn't change anything much when they look back over their lives. In my case, I have no illusions - most of what I've done has not been good and I'd change most of it!

Mine would probably should be 'If she could live her life again she would change everything'. Most people say they wouldn't change anything much when they look back over their lives. In my case, I have no illusions - most of what I've done has not been good and I'd change most of it!

It's good to hear you say that you'd change most of it. I've always held the wisdom that we learn by our mistakes and if we didn't make mistakes, we wouldn't improve and life would be a bore.

I have not been a risk taker, but I have been close to death so many times that I can't remember all those occasions, except for the most incredible. And I wonder some times how I made it this far. I've saved lives too, at least 5, including my own. I've had my own life saved by someone once during all of this. I don't regret my mistakes. The worst occurred during youth and due to ignorance. The greatest pain I have suffered in life was a thing of passion and no fault owing to anyone. I have been a warrior and my spirit and memory of life are not stained by ever having killed, although, if necessary, I know that I would defend what is worthy of defense by doing so. And I have seen pain and suffering in others that I could do nothing about and so had doubts about what others term "God." The great epiphany that I experienced at around age 22 has dominated my sense of the world and my course ever since. That realization gave me self discipline and kept me from being just another reactant in life. And so, my life has been better and my intelligence and spirit have become my greatest treasures and I will not sacrifice either for anything. I know I was lucky in life to achieve that early epiphany and that many others never do. And all I can do is attempt to influence others as some of those others once influenced me. That early epiphany may have seemed to have happened by accident and perhaps, it did. But I rather think that somewhere along the line, somebody nudged the event. I hope that I have nudged in return.

Last edited:
Quite a speech @flyinglentris. :)

The great epiphany that I experienced at around age 22 has dominated my sense of the world and my course ever since.

When I hear people say this it usually means they found a religion of some sort. Though not in your case? The trouble with me is I'm an extreme cynic so epiphanies are a bit thin on the ground... :laugh:

When I hear people say this it usually means they found a religion of some sort. Though not in your case? The trouble with me is I'm an extreme cynic so epiphanies are a bit thin on the ground... :laugh:

The Epiphany for Christians has to do with the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles. They found religion.

In the dictionary, you'll find that it is a synonym for "realization or an awakening."

There are many things in the world that guide people in their lives ... faith or religion, philosophy, psychological counseling, manipulation by others through propaganda, coercion, dictates, threats and so forth. One of the things that I left out of that laundry list is perhaps, termed personal conviction, but that's a shady definition and open to interpretation because often, people will claim a personal conviction to the things that manipulate them.

The other thing that wasn't on that laundry list is individual self discipline in terms of responding to one's environment as opposed to blindly reacting to it. This has nothing to do with religion, philosophy, psychological counseling and pointedly, frees oneself up from external manipulations, by allowing a truer form of "Choice."

I am not religious and therefore, you may infer, that I am not Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Animist, Wicken, Hindu, Bahia, Shinto, etc. But I respect them all. (Forgive me, if I did not mention your particular religion). And yes, I respect atheists too. Am I an Atheist? I won't allow myself to labelled as anti-religious. Thank you. And no, I am not a futilist, a person who believes that life and cognizance is an artifact of a fantastic aspect of molecular existence and that people are predestined by causality to be what they are, no matter how good or evil. That's also worthy of my respect, but it just isn't me. I am the nucleus of my being and exercise choice over what I do and am not subject to causality.

Forgive me, if I did not mention your particular religion

Brought up as an agnostic (not christened which is odd for folk of my era) and I'm now a confirmed atheist. Are we off topic? Not sure what to do with this exchange - should I start a new thread... ? :scratchhead:

Yes - I know that an epiphany can mean 'a realisation' - I just meant that usually people who say this are referring to finding religion. If anything I tend towards a somewhat Zen approach - but I'm not very good at it at all! :D But Isn't an epiphany just a form of self delusion (I told you I was cynical)?

@flyinglentris
Thank you for your very thought provoking comments. I am very curious about your epiphany. I am nosy by nature.
I also want to thank you again for your service. As a land locked Sailor I know I never experienced or witnessed the things that you did. A question - were you a career Sailor?

But Isn't an epiphany just a form of self delusion (I told you I was cynical)?

Not at all. An epiphany (realization) can be as simple as knowing what is truly important in life or what your purpose is. In my humble opinion an epiphany is the opposite of self delusion. It is a realization of your personal reality.

I have to think about an epitaph.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom