Chopsticks

Local time
11:09 PM
Went to a Chinese in China Town (London). From what I could see, all the Chinese were eating with cutlery and all the non-Chinese were using chopsticks.

Anywho..

Last edited by a moderator:
I nearly took my eyes out the one and only time I tried to use chopsticks. :oops:

I believe how far along you hold the chopsticks is meant to be an indicator of your position in society.

I think it's something like, the nearer the top you hold them, the more high up you are.

Or I might have dreamed it :scratchhead:

I believe how far along you hold the chopsticks is meant to be an indicator of your position in society.

I think it's something like, the nearer the top you hold them, the more high up you are.

Night Train says yes, more or less. When he was a kid, his Dad held them 2/3 way up, but his Mum held them 4/5 of the way up. His Dad came from farming stock, his Mum's family had household staff....

I always used to use them in my left hand, but to fit in, I relearned to use them right handed. I think that's the ultimate in ambidextrousness! I manage ok, but as a meal goes on, my hand gets tired, and I'm more likely to drop stuff, especially slippy things. I think it entertains his folks! I haven't mastered the technique of slurping up every last grain of rice yet.

I've heard that too. That doesn't mean I've got it right though. Someone from China would probably despair at the way I hold my chopsticks anyway.:wink:

Edit: posted too slow again. Pah:rolleyes:

<tries to remember last time she used chopsticks>

Er, I think I hold mine at about half way, so as I'm historically mostly from tenant farmer stock does this mean I'm eating above my station?

I use chopsticks most days for most meals.

I have also used 'makeshift chopsticks' to pick up small things that have fallen out of reach in the workshop.

As my ancestors were horse traders in Persia, I should be holding the chopsticks about one quarter way up then.

As my ancestors were horse traders in Persia, I should be holding the chopsticks about one quarter way up then.

I dunno, I would have thought that horse trading was quite important in the Arab regions.

Also, if you're a Persian horse trader, you're probably not going to use chopsticks much...

I eat with chopsticks a lot too. However the funny thing is I know my family have a none traditional weirdy way of using our chopsticks. We don't do the lever method.

in yo sushi where i work the only options you have are chopsticks easy chopsticks or a spoon

the amount of people you have asking for a fork :laugh:

only because of work i use chopsticks

in yo sushi where i work the only options you have are chopsticks easy chopsticks or a spoon

the amount of people you have asking for a fork :laugh:

only because of work i use chopsticks
Missing one option, which is the only correct alternative to chopsticks. Sushi was originally (and is still on part) finger food.

Yeah traditionally, but here you have to understand its been westernised so to speak

Back
Top Bottom