Christmas and New Year diets

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:19 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Here's a thought... I was wondering what others do at this time of year.

I'm watching my weight as a result of a bad back. Weight piled on at the end of last year and the beginning of this one as a result of being bed bound for 6-8 months and I'm still reasonably housebound without assistance so exercise is still limited.

Anyhow that got me wondering about Christmas and diets in the New Year... What do others do over Christmas knowing that you'll be on a diet again in the dreaded New Year.... Do you indulge and aim to lose a touch more? Are you careful over Christmas and aim not to put the weight on? Or do you continue with your existing diet over the Christmas period?

(I also have several other celebrations over the Christmas week including 2 immediate family birthdays and a wedding anniversary, so quiet days get to be appreciated!)

Here's a thought... I was wondering what others do at this time of year.

I'm watching my weight as a result of a bad back. Weight piled on at the end of last year and the beginning of this one as a result of being bed bound for 6-8 months and I'm still reasonably housebound without assistance so exercise is still limited.

Anyhow that got me wondering about Christmas and diets in the New Year... What do others do over Christmas knowing that you'll be on a diet again in the dreaded New Year.... Do you indulge and aim to lose a touch more? Are you careful over Christmas and aim not to put the weight on? Or do you continue with your existing diet over the Christmas period?

(I also have several other celebrations over the Christmas week including 2 immediate family birthdays and a wedding anniversary, so quiet days get to be appreciated!)
As usual - you guessed it, I hardly eat anything fattening over Christmas. No chocolate, no puddings or mince pies. I'll do Christmas dinner but serve myself a small portion with lots of sprouts! I don't find it difficult. Its cooking and tasting that I get high on!

It is hard to not gain weight over the holidays. The tasting during the cooking is the one that gets me also, by the time the food is complete I have no desire to eat. To control my weight I try to not eat any thing fattening for a few days so that when I do go crazy it will even it self out.

My downfall is chocolate or when people have specifically cooked something I can eat and go to the trouble of cooking something like a chocolate olive oil cake for my birthday. It is dairy free, they then find some dairy free cream (plenty around nowadays), add in some dairy free ice-cream and then pile it high with raspberries because they know I love chocolate and raspberries. It will take 3-4 days to eat the cake and there are zillions of calories in it. If you don't eat it, you offend the person who has gone to the trouble of making it specifically for me. If I do eat it (and spreading it across 4 days are small portions) then the calories are humongous. You can't win. And in years gone by I would have been very active so it didn't matter as much, but I am having to adapt to a much quieter lifestyle and so far have only managed to stabilise my weight nothing more!

My downfall is chocolate or when people have specifically cooked something I can eat and go to the trouble of cooking something like a chocolate olive oil cake for my birthday. It is dairy free, they then find some dairy free cream (plenty around nowadays), add in some dairy free ice-cream and then pile it high with raspberries because they know I love chocolate and raspberries. It will take 3-4 days to eat the cake and there are zillions of calories in it. If you don't eat it, you offend the person who has gone to the trouble of making it specifically for me. If I do eat it (and spreading it across 4 days are small portions) then the calories are humongous. You can't win. And in years gone by I would have been very active so it didn't matter as much, but I am having to adapt to a much quieter lifestyle and so far have only managed to stabilise my weight nothing more!

Sounds like an amazing cake! Not such an issue with me, as knowing that I don't like sweet stuff, nobody would make me a cake or buy chocolate! Foodie presents I ask for are usually special ingredients - for example, truffle oil or caviar (neither of which is likely to pile on the pounds). My downfall is alcohol. I gave up drinking entirely a few years ago and ended up at 9 and a half stone and looked positively skinny (I'm nearly 5ft 9). Alcohol is loaded with calories (about the same as fruit juice!), so over Christmas, I have to be careful where that's concerned.

I am pretty good about not over indulging over the holidays. I limit the amount of sweets in the house...so i tend not to gain weight over Christmas and New years. I enjoy sweets but I am not a fanatic..so it is not a major problem for me.Salt is another matter! When I was younger though...I think I gained weight over the holidays as I was fairly inactive in the house when I had been used to walking a great deal.

So far I've managed without having to watch what I eat or bother about dieting after.
Weight remains much the same after as before.

So far I haven't gained anything despite eating what I would say is more than usual - but I guess I've been walking a lot more than usual too, so it's balancing itself out.

I do want to make a commitment to eat better in the new year though. I feel like lately, too many treats have been creeping in...and despite the scales being fine, I just don't feel as healthy as I could be...so it's mainly for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom