Christmas Pudding - do you love it or hate it?

Hmmm.
What IS Christmas pudding?
It's a steamed cake, more or less, full of all kinds of goodies, like booze and raisins and booze and sultanas and booze and dried fruits and booze. Lots of spices, too, that are generally associated with Christmas.

It's incredibly rich and flavorful and doubly-delicious when topped with brandy butter or hard sauce or brandy sauce or whatever.

It's just fantastic. Here's a quick video from Tesco on making one:

View: https://youtu.be/EQzW2i17QU4

It's a steamed cake, more or less, full of all kinds of goodies, like booze and raisins and booze and sultanas and booze and dried fruits and booze. Lots of spices, too, that are generally associated with Christmas.

It's incredibly rich and flavorful and doubly-delicious when topped with brandy butter or hard sauce or brandy sauce or whatever.

Thanks for letting me know. Probably wouldn't be too fond. I dislike most dried fruit including raisins/sultanas. (There are better ways to ingest booze and brandy).

I do want to point out a funny little thing:

"Pud" (rhymes with good) in the UK and "pud" (rhymes with bud) where I'm from have two completely different meanings, and the one where I'm from is a bit naughty, so whenever I'm talking/reading/hearing about "Christmas pud," the 13yo in me giggles a little. :)

I do want to point out a funny little thing:

"Pud" (rhymes with good) in the UK and "pud" (rhymes with bud) where I'm from have two completely different meanings, and the one where I'm from is a bit naughty, so whenever I'm talking/reading/hearing about "Christmas pud," the 13yo in me giggles a little. :)

MG goes off to search...

OK I looked it up. I'll never think of Christmas Pud the same way again. :laugh:

If we live in "Merca," can we substitute Fruitcake for Christmas Pudding? I don't think they are the same, but are also loved and hated. They are loaded with candied fruit, and have the density of potter's clay. I hate them, but they are good for self defense... you can hit an attacker with one and knock him out.

CD
Lmao

Russ

You forgot setting fire to it!

We never had that!!

Russ
we couldn't have a Christmas pudding in our family unless the warmed brandy/whisky had been poured over the pudding, the curtains drawn and the lights dimmed and then the warmed spirits set fire to and burnt out whilst everyone clapped and cheered... I always assumed everyone did that. We did forgo the penny in the pudding though because my mother started to buy puddings rather than make her own. I prefer to make my own for obvious reasons, but have stopped a year after coming to Australia and finding them too heavy and too stodgy for a blisteringly hot summer's day.

we couldn't have a Christmas pudding in our family unless the warmed brandy/whisky had been poured over the pudding, the curtains drawn and the lights dimmed and then the warmed spirits set fire to and burnt out whilst everyone clapped and cheered... I always assumed everyone did that. We did forgo the penny in the pudding though because my mother started to buy puddings rather than make her own. I prefer to make my own for obvious reasons, but have stopped a year after coming to Australia and finding them too heavy and too stodgy for a blisteringly hot summer's day.

And I don't do pud either. I would if I was asked? I always wondered why all 3 boys got equal amount of money. Miserable old thrippence lol.

Russ

we couldn't have a Christmas pudding in our family unless the warmed brandy/whisky had been poured over the pudding, the curtains drawn and the lights dimmed and then the warmed spirits set fire to and burnt out whilst everyone clapped and cheered... I always assumed everyone did that.

We never did that in my family as a kid - but I do it now. Can't remember when I started doing it or why... maybe in the 80's? Maybe I saw it on TV. Something to do with a different lifestyle I think.

Back
Top Bottom