Christmas this year

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
5:32 AM
On September 6'th we lost my mum after a long illness.

This year will be dad's first Christmas in 50 years without mum so we have invited him to stay with us for a couple of days. My brother is a single parent with 2 girls and they are also invited. TVC and I don't have turkey at Christmas however my dad is traditional so this year we are having a full on traditional dinner, we may also buy a tree, I want to make it special for him as he and mum did for us for many years. It will be hard for us all not having mum there but she would not want us to be miserable so we will celebrate and raise a glass to her.

The first one after being widowed is always the hardest. Good for you to make it special. Don't stress about it though, he will know you are doing it for him and appreciate everything you do even if it doesn't turn out "perfect" or you aren't able to do everything you mom used to do. Every family is different, it's the love that counts and being together to express that to eachother does so much more than the details do.

Sorry to hear that Lullabelle. I like the sound of what you've got planned ... the family together at Christmas; it'll be different, definitely, but hopefully your mum will be with you all in spirit, and in your memories. Did she have any Christmas traditions or favourite decorations that you all loved - or loved to hate (like the dancing Santa our daughter drags out every year and won't let us throw away - despite losing his bell and one foot!! :laugh:) that you could continue this year in her memory?

Sorry to hear that Lullabelle. I like the sound of what you've got planned ... the family together at Christmas; it'll be different, definitely, but hopefully your mum will be with you all in spirit, and in your memories. Did she have any Christmas traditions or favourite decorations that you all loved - or loved to hate (like the dancing Santa our daughter drags out every year and won't let us throw away - despite losing his bell and one foot!! :laugh:) that you could continue this year in her memory?

TBH the only tradition is a turkey dinner, other than that just have a good time. TVC and I chose not to have kids so mum jokingly referred to our pets as her grandchildren so last year we bought a Christmas card that you add your own picture to it and it was for nanny and grandad so we put in a picture of our cat, mum's face was a picture when she opened it, mum did buy a stocking for her granddaughter.

Back
Top Bottom