Christmas Traditions

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:00 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Whilst i was typing up the thread about Christmas presents, it occurred to me that we have members from all around the world and I know that even within Europe there are a wide range of Christmas traditions.

My family used to have a number of traditions which centered around my grandparents' home until they became too old to manage them. Christmas morning would be spent at our own homes with us kids unwrapping presents, then we would walk over to my grandparents' home in time for 'the Queen's Speach' something the family children avoided and the adults crowded around the TV to listen to. Then my Grannie would take the cover off the table and we would all dig into a Christmas 'lunch' which in reality was by now so late in the day it should have been an evening meal! This would be eaten picnic style but on Christmas china plates perched wherever you could find a seat, so anywhere except for the table! She would always have made everything herself including a fabulously decorated cake. In the late hours of the night we would walk home or if we were lucky get a taxi home. This would be repeated in New Year's Day minus the presents.

On Boxing Day (26th) we would all go around to either my parents home or my uncle's home for a repeat event. We are/were a relatively large family so this time of year is always stressful. To top it off, there is a family birthday (one of the grandchildren) between Christmas and New Year!

Once I left for university and got engaged, I decided that Christmas was a time for my very immediate family, so my husband and I and we created a tradition of always being up a mountain on Christmas day, often dig into a snow drift and our Christmas lunch was a huge wedge of homemade Christmas cake with a wedge of fresh wendsleydale cheese plus a mug of coffee! It was so much less stressful :laugh:

My family used to have a lot of Christmas traditions, but I moved away and am not longer going back there for Christmas due to not enough time to travel, and I can't afford to miss days of work ect. My new tradition is Christmas Eve service followed by dessert with friends Then on Christmas day we go over there and open some presents and have a nice meal and spend the day together. Then it's back to work the next day.

Not certain if anyone will be familar with "Hunting the Wren" or "Wren Boys" on St. Stephens' day.
Usually visited in the late afternoon/early evening by them.

Christmas Eve has been spent making certain that there'd be wood to burn, for two fires, for two days. And the job of making certain that the fire was lit Christmas Eve and remained lit for the cooking the following day.
Turkey having been prepared on the Eve and into the oven in the early hours. Roundabout this time, 04:00, so as to be cooked.
Everything else would just require the water adding/fat adding to the pans on the day.
Animals would be checked first then it'd be back into the house awaiting the dinner. Lighting the second fire whilst doing so.
Candles(lit) would be placed in all the windows Christmas eve after dark, with at least one front and back remaining lit for the night.

Cakes, cooked by an aunt, would be in plentiful supply. Should anyone call. Drinks available for the same reason.

Weather dependent, it'd be a walk up the hill or on the bike to the bog later on in the day.

I've got the usual traditions. Nothing all that fancy. I take kids to see Santa, I give out and open presents, make some holiday themed food, read the usual books, and watch the usual movies. I want to change that up this year. More than likely, I'll dress up as an elf or Santa and pass out gifts around the neighborhood. If I can't do that, then I'm sure I'll find something nice to to do for the holidays.

On Christmas eve here we usually have midnight mass at some churches. At my church, in addition to this, there is also a late evening service which many people prefer to attend because they then have time to return home and relax in preparation for the big day.

On Christmas day, after opening our gifts, we would all get together with other family members at one house. We would have Christmas lunch, not dinner. Lunch would be served between 1 and 2 p.m. Every one is asked to bring a different dish, so not all the cooking is done in one home. The desserts are also done by more than one person. That makes it easier for everyone. We serve a great variety of dishes on that day. The rest of the day is spent either playing games or just lazing around and chatting.

The day after Christmas is very relaxing. On this day we usually take time to visit with friends, after which we would just relax at home by watching some shows on television and maybe taking another look at the gifts which we would have opened the day before.

I've got the usual traditions. Nothing all that fancy. I take kids to see Santa, I give out and open presents, make some holiday themed food, read the usual books, and watch the usual movies. I want to change that up this year. More than likely, I'll dress up as an elf or Santa and pass out gifts around the neighborhood. If I can't do that, then I'm sure I'll find something nice to to do for the holidays.
Impersonate Santa!!!!!!!

- Christmas Eve- My mum, dad, sister and nephews come to my house for hot pork and stuffing barmcakes and mince pies. We walk to the church together for Midnight Mass (that is actually at about 7pm). Then back to my house for Christmas Eve presents for the children. This is always new nightwear to sleep in for Christmas. After a few drinks, I play Santa. I fill the children's sacks and they always get something in bed with them too.
- Christmas Day- my parents come round to watch my children open their presents. then we go to Christmas morning mass. I spend about an hour tidying and packing as we move to my mum's until the 27th after this. We go to my grandparents' grave to lay a Christmas wreath. The main Christmas Dinner is served by my Mum and I at about 2pm. Everyone has a present on the table. After dinner we exchange family gifts. The morning is for Santa only. At about 8 pm we have a buffet from the leftovers. My mum, sister and I always buy a jigsaw each year and start it on Christmas Day night.
- Boxing Day- Time for a lie in! We snack on rubbish throughout the day and then have a sit down buffet at about 4pm. Everyone has another table present. We watch Christmas films and continue with the jigsaw. Me and my mum drink lots of things like Bailey's, Malibu and Advocat.

we do our christmas meal before christmas day,and it changes every year,the only thing that never changes is that i work christmas day have done so since 1984,i am chef and its a early start and late finish:(

Oh! I get it. This is interesting. Whenever I hear someone speak of dinner, I always think of a late evening meal. In my country, most people have 3 meals a day, which we call breakfast, lunch and supper. Lunch is usually the biggest meal of the day. Supper is usually something light accompanied by a tea of one's choice. However, there are some people here who do eat a big meal at night which they call dinner. If I were to go out to a restaurant at night for a meal, I would also call it dinner, not supper.

Back
Top Bottom