Cicadas on the menu? Yes or no?

madebyyouandi

Local time
2:47 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
The NYT's is really pushing to add insects to the American diet. Here's a new "recipe" using cicadas, which to me sounds absolutely cruel: You're in the ground for 17 years, you come up to mate -- you only get a week -- to further your species before you die, and some foodie scoops you up for lunch.

The only way I can eat insects is when they're minced and I can't see what they are, or if they don't tell me (thank you, Japan).

I'm curious, how many of you would try cicada and/or what kind of insects/anthropoids would you willing add to the menu?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/05/19/spicy-popcorn-cicadas-recipe/

You're in the ground for 17 years, you come up to mate -- you only get a week -- to further your species before you die, and some foodie scoops you up for lunch.

Its worse for chickens (and many other animals). The poor things are usually culled when still babies at 8 to 12 weeks old.

I'd eat insects but they wouldn't be my first choice. Meat in general isn't my first choice. Seafood is my weakness.

I think the worlds heading that way, now with China allowing three kids per woman I might be needed in 15 years or so?
I'm not a fan but have eaten tree grubs aka huhu grubs. Taste like peanut butter.

Russ

I think an insect is inevitable on one of my menu one of these days, probably as a condiment or a side. I've tried insects in my travels and I did not gag, or think WTF was that. It is a good source of protein, so it is coming.

Well, down inAfrica somewhere I saw a documentary about soe insects they eat which must be cooked in corn husks. Wrapped tightly and cooked like that, the husk removes these spikes from the insect's body and if you don't do that it tears up your guts with those small spiny projections.

Then one day the locusts came to Israel. What did they do ?? They deep fried them and sold them at those stands like hot dogs, another supposed delicacy.

Ever think of jumping beans ? Them things are an egg that got roasted before hatched and that little whatever is trying to get out but can't.

T

Back
Top Bottom