1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarse-chopped white onion
2 TB. coarse-chopped garlic
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Place all ingredients except the oil in a blender. Turn to high speed and puree until the mixture is fairly smooth. Then transfer to a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk in oil to form an emulsion. Good for marinating poultry, pork or beef, up to at least 12 hours. Makes about 1 1/4 cup.

Source: Nuevo Latino-pub. 1995 - Douglas Rodriguez - Sun Sentinel - May 1996

Cilantro Adobo (marinade)
3/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. ground CUMIN
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarse-chopped white onion
2 TB. coarse-chopped garlic
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Place all ingredients except the oil in a blender. Turn to high speed and puree until the mixture is fairly smooth. Then transfer to a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk in oil to form an emulsion. Good for marinating poultry, pork or beef, up to at least 12 hours. Makes about 1 1/4 cup.

Source: Nuevo Latino-pub. 1995 - Douglas Rodriguez - Sun Sentinel - May 1996

So it would keep for a few months??

Russ

Skip the bay leaf, add minced jalapeno, serrano or manzano chili, swap the vinegar for lime juice, use only the cilantro leaves, skip the blender, no oil and you have a great empanada dipping sauce as well as a salsa for tacos, burritos, etc. There is a small ma & pa Mexican restaurant locally. The folks are from the state of Campeche. Their green sauce is very similar to what your recipe is with my changes. It is excellent!

Last edited:
So it would keep for a few months??

Russ
Sorry Russ, nowhere in the article does it say how long you can keep it. It does say that Rodriguez makes large batches of it at his restaurant, but I would assume they use it up pretty fast.

Skip the bay leaf, add minced jalapeno, serrano or manzano chili, swap the vinegar for lime juice, use only the cilantro leaves, skip the blender, no oil and you have a great empanada dipping sauce as well as a salsa for tacos, burritos, etc. There is a small ma & pa Mexican restaurant locally. The folks are from the state of Campeche. Their green sauce is very similar to what your recipe is with my changes. It is excellent!
Thanks Craig, that sounds like something DH would like. I'm the wimp that can't handle hot peppers. lol

Back
Top Bottom