Cinammon: The bark vs. Ground!

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
11:33 PM
It's generally considered okay to eat something with ground cinnamon in it. Don't we do that all the time with coffee? I mean, technically it's not digestible so it's not something to worry about in such a small quantity. On the other hand, I've heard of people whom eat the Cinnamon stick. I like to use the stick in order to give that flavor to my drinks but I don't usually eat it. I guess my question is would you put a cinnamon stick in a recipe where it's expected of the person to eat it whole? Or is it best to just skip the stick all together in case someone tries to eat it.

As someone whom has to worry about children and the elderly getting sick, it's something I'd really like to know.

The spice that is sold as ground cinnamon is often not cinnamon at all. It is dalchini or cassia, which does not have the same health benefits as true cinnamon.

If real cinnamon was harmful I would be very ill by now, because I drink it in herbal infusions all the time and also use it in cooking. Cinnamon is actually very good for health.

I have used cinnamon sticks to make hot drinks and I use a lot of ground cinnamon. When making "tea" the grounds or flakes of bark sink to the bottom of the cup, so it does not all get ingested.

I definitely prefer it in the bark form. If it wasn't it ground then I can snap some off and put it in the coffee grinder which has only even been used for herbs and spices.

And to be honest I don't think it is poisonous just unappetising to eat and the sticks themselves are reasonably easy to extract before serving the dish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom