Clarifying Homemade Stock With Egg Whites - Fail

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
4:28 PM
I should have known better to attempt this again, because my previous experiments with it were a mess. However, after making a particularly great batch of chicken stock - I decided to try and go all the way and turn it into a consomme.

I rarely have cheesecloth on hand, so I usually just strain my stocks with a fine mesh strainer and it gets the job done for the most part. I had read that you could simmer some egg whites in stock to form a "raft" which would then trap any excess debris and once that was strained out as well, you would have a clear broth left.

It seemed to make sense, and certainly my metal strainer could catch the egg whites, so I gave it another try. Total fail. The egg whites somehow still managed to make their way through the strainer and the stock itself looked cloudier than it did before I added the egg whites. Not to mention, they left behind a "raw egg white" taste in the broth.

As a last ditch effort to save the stock, I tried straining it again - this time with a coffee filter - but no luck. The stock must have been too viscous to pass through the paper filter.

Have any of you had any success clarifying a broth? I'm now wishing I would have just left it alone.

Back
Top Bottom