The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:00 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
BDEF2B44-F3E7-4001-A601-4A1B29AE8484.jpeg

How to clean a cast-iron pan. Does anybody else do this? First, remove as much grease and other debris as possible. Then, put a bunch of coarse salt in the pan, and use a paper towel to scrub debris off the pan. No water or soap needed!

I learned about this on a TV show called “Chance”. It’s not a cooking show: one of the characters was spouting some random fact to the other, and when I heard this one, I thought: I have to try this!

View attachment 73841

How to clean a cast-iron pan. Does anybody else do this? First, remove as much grease and other debris as possible. Then, put a bunch of coarse salt in the pan, and use a paper towel to scrub debris off the pan. No water or soap needed!

I learned about this on a TV show called “Chance”. It’s not a cooking show: one of the characters was spouting some random fact to the other, and when I heard this one, I thought: I have to try this!
I've never really had to scrub a cast iron pan, probably because I use a lot of fat when I'm cooking. :laugh:

View attachment 73841

I use mild soap and water to wash, but no hard scrubbing. Then I spritz it with spray oil and wipe it out before putting away. However, I have seen this coarse salt method before.

View attachment 73841

Yes, I use salt, , this is the way my Grandmother taught me how to clean cast iron pans.

I have only one cast iron pan which I only use for dry frying (spices or chillis) but I do have a cast iron sizzler plate. I shall try this next time I use the plate.

Most of my cast iron is enamel coated. My antique Griswold pans never see soap. The seasoning on them is so deep, that they are practically non-stick pans. Those, I only use for certain kinds of cooks, which generally involve a decent amount of fat. All I have to so to wash them is put some water in the pan, bring it to a boil, use brush to clean the bottoms, rinse, and dry with paper towels.

CD

Yes, I use salt, , this is the way my Grandmother taught me how to clean cast iron pans.
In your grandmother's day, soap was much more likely to be harmful to the pan's seasoning. Today that's not really an issue, and cleaning your cast iron pans with soap and water is just fine. Just don't leave the pan wet, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom