Cling film safety

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:37 PM
Does anyone here use cling film in cooking? My wife found a recipe for a cooked cheesecake that involved lining a loose bottomed cake tin with cling film so that it could be cooked in a bain marie. This sparked a discussion about safety, and it turned out that the brand of cling film we use is not recommended for cooking, despite being a catering brand aimed at the commercial market. A bit of research revealed that most cling film contains a noxious substance called BPA, that leeches into food at certain temperatures and can have adverse affects on the body. I have now sourced BPA free alternative, and it's not much more expensive.

Thank you mate I always wondered what cause my fetish.
1606114767282.png

I use Stretch-Tite plastic wrap, which is BPA-free, but not safe for conventional oven use.

I hate cling film. If i try to use it for ANYTHING, it ends up as a ball of plastic in my hands, and I have to throw it away and start over. It has been permanently banned from my house. :stop:

CD

I just stick to the method I learned years ago.
1606143886375.png
1606143910204.png
This one is a standard Jewish recipe that in this case I added dried raisins macerated overnight in rum. I like to macerated at night.

I hate cling film. If i try to use it for ANYTHING, it ends up as a ball of plastic in my hands, and I have to throw it away and start over. It has been permanently banned from my house. :stop:

CD
I used to feel the same way about Glad and Saran wraps, but then I found Stretch-Tite and it changed my life. :laugh:

I first got it during the short time I had a membership at Costco. They carried it. Now, I just order it from Amazon, though I do recall seeing it somewhere in a store recently.

Homepage | Stretchtite

I hate cling wrap stuff as well, until I got the stretchtite dispenser.
there have been thousands of 'as seen on tv' dispensers over the years - but the stretchtite one works superbly.

this is obviously sales oriented
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A76_Dpxkro

but it demonstrates a biggie difference in 'doohickies'
what I've found:
it's heavy, it stays put.
it "holds" the spool end - depending on size shape height whatever of the object, I place it on the counter or the cutting board....
has two obvious 'thumb slots' where you can grab the cut edge and drag the film over the object of your desire.
then it cuts cleanly easily no double triple pushes, Sally get the scissors! issues.
wrap the 'freed' edge.

it actually works as shown....

well, there is a downside to the StretchTite gadget.....

the size/diameter of the rolls accommodated does not work with (all) the 'usual and customary' stretch wrap rolls on the supermarket shelf.

I have a (woodshop) bandsaw, so I could cut down my left-over generic rolls and make them work.
fortunately, places like Amazon have "the exact thing" at prices not seriously more than "generic" - especially the 'giant' aka 500 sizes.

if you have the "I hate cling wrap" issue - it's a real solution that performs as advertised.

Back
Top Bottom