Cold Oatmeal?

apike

Veteran
Local time
10:22 PM
I've seen a few recipes floating around the internet for cold oatmeal. Apparently you assemble the oatmeal at night, put it in a jar, and put it in the fridge. The next day, it's good to go and you eat it cold. I'm not sure how I feel about this but it sounds interesting enough to try at least once! Plus, in the summer, I hate eating anything hot in the mornings, so maybe this is a good idea. Has anyone actually had this cold oatmeal? Is it good or is it one of those pinterest recipes that should never have seen the light of day?

We have been soaking oats overnight for years - cuts down on the cooking time which basically becomes a reheat time instead (exceptionally useful when camping and you have a limited supply of fuel). But eating it cold is another matter entirely, but that said, ground down and added to milk/yoghurt in a smoothy that is exactly what you do, eat it cold. I just can't face cold porridge/oatmeal myself!

I wouldn't like to try a cold one. That being said, do give it a try and let us know if it's edible or not! :D

Cooked oatmeal left to go cold is not nice, but preparing a cold oatmeal breakfast is different. Add whatever you like best. Fresh berries or dried fruit, nuts and/or seeds. Then soak in pure fruit juice, milk or water. You will need to add enought liquid for the oats to absorb, just as you do when cooking oatmeal.

It is best left overnight in the fridge, but I have made it less than an hour before serving. When the oats have absorbed the liquid, it is ready to serve on its own or with extra milk. You can add sugar or honey, but if you soak it in fruit juice it should be sweet enough.

I'm not a fan of eating it cold but I would if that was the only option. Oatmeal is a big part of my diet and I never seem to get sick of it. Love it mixed up with fruit and yogurt.

I like oatmeal... and I could probably handle the flavor of it after it got cold... but what I'm thinking is that when oatmeal *does* get cold, it gets rock-hard. Wonder if more liquid needs to be added in the morning to eat it cold? Or maybe it's made thinner than usual the first time?

Anyhow, yes, I'd probably give it a try one time... just as healthy cold as hot. :)

The pictures I've seen of this cold oatmeal make it look really tasty! I bought some strawberries and I think I'm going to try to do this tonight. I'll prepare it and stick it in the fridge. Let's see how good this is--or isn't. I think I'll soak mine in milk so maybe it will end up like soggy granola? Hmmm I might add some almonds in there just for good measure. We will see what happens!

Okay. I made cold oatmeal. I add half a cup of oats to a jar and one cup of milk. I also added some strawberries and sweetener. I mixed it all up and put it in the fridge for about 12 hours. To me, it reminds me of soggy granola. The flavor is pretty good but I don't think I like it very much with strawberries. I think I would prefer blueberries. I also think I added too much milk because it was a little to runny for my tastes. Overall, I can see why people like it but it's not something I would eat everyday. I think it could be pretty good with chocolate because it would pretty much be an oatmeal smoothie, lol.

I love oatmeal and it is part of my regular diet. Sometimes I eat it in the morning at breakfast and sometimes during snack time. There is no problem to how I will prepare it because I eat them either hot or cold and both had a pleasant taste to me.

Back
Top Bottom