Recipe Collard Greens

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
12:45 AM
For the most part, I cook a traditional Christmas meal. The only dish I switch up is the green beans. Instead of cooking a green bean casserole, I cook my green beans Southern style. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 cans of french cut green beans
2 slices of salt pork
1/4 of an onion
2 tbsp. oil
Pepper
Salt

Steps:

1. In a medium pan, saute your onion, salt pork and oil for 3 minutes on medium-high.
2. Dump your green beans into the pan.
3. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover pan with a lid.
5. Lower heat to medium.
6. Cook for 35 minutes.
Serve!

medium.1.jpg

Well, in my family we don't really cook the same meals as any american family. For Christmas Eve we are not allowed to eat meat. ( Well if you go by the old traditions because in todays day we are allowed to.) But I like to follow the traditions that I was raised with. So we do not cook any meats. We always have many different dishes for fish and other dishes that do not include meat. So you would not see a bid piece of ham in the middle of our dinner table on that day :P, but Christmas day we can have meat and usually have beef stroganoff and chicken marsala along with other dishes.

For the most part, I cook a traditional Christmas meal. The only dish I switch up is the green beans. Instead of cooking a green bean casserole, I cook my green beans Southern style. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 cans of french cut green beans
2 slices of salt pork
1/4 of an onion
2 tbsp. oil
Pepper
Salt
Steps:
1. In a medium pan, saute your onion, salt pork and oil for 3 minutes on medium-high.
2. Dump your green beans into the pan.
3. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover pan with a lid.
5. Lower heat to medium.
6. Cook for 35 minutes.
Serve!

medium.1.jpg

My family doesn't generally care for traditional holiday food on Christmas since we'd just had it on Thanksgiving. My aunt lives in Louisiana so I'm hoping that we'll go with the idea to cook a New Orleans' styled feast instead.

We do not do a traditional Christmas meal of turkey and trimmings as neither of us are keen on turkey, nor mince pies.

we don't do traditional Christmas at all. In the past it would have been cheese & pesto sandwiches, Christmas cake and a mug of coffee dug into a snow drift on top of some mountain somewhere in Scotland. This year I am making a thai curry (vegan) for our Christmas day meal. Last year I think it was beans on toast after a long bike ride!

Oh - I am surprised at all of the non-traditional meals on Christmas.

Well, it's probably a lot less pricey and better for you health-wise.

I just got back from the store shopping for food. It was a mad house. I am glad I am threw with that aspect of my shopping and can just get down to business cooking my food.

Back
Top Bottom