4:10 PM
Ingredients
1/2 pound raw bacon, chopped
3 cups julienne onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 or more (12-ounce) Bottle lager beer, Oh, 1 is for the collards:whistling::drink:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tablespoon molasses
6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach, cleaned and stemmed

Directions
1) In a large pot, render the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes.
2) Add the onions and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted.
3) Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne.
4) Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
5) Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses.
6) Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt.
7) Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.*

* Note: Depending on the greens used, It may take longer for them to get tender. Add liquid as needed. The liquid in the pot was referred to as "Pot Liquor" by Justin Wilson (RIP).

I've made Collard greens a couple of times. I used Italian sausage instead of bacon. The recipe is on here somewhere. I love the idea of adding beer to it. I think I will do that next time.

I also served mine with black eyed peas.

Mmmm, greens. Love 'em.

I've been at some friends' family functions where generational recipes, often soul food like dishes, were served that were so bad that all I ate was the greens.

I like that idea.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/collard-greens-with-sweet-italian-sausage.12675/

20180416_180718.jpg

BTW, I usually end up adding some water or chicken stock too so there will be enough liquid to cook the greens very well because that's the way Craig likes them, basically falling apart. Also, he likes his pot liquor .

They are the only greens I will eat. Craig's late brother too. We were both greens haters until we found this recipe. Craig's brother even had thirds when he first tried this
So, that means "no" to mustard greens and beet greens? I'd think this recipe would get you through the bitterness to deliver something tasty.

I assume you didn't mean things like bok choi, chard, and spinach.

No, that meant I wouldn't eat greens of any kind at the time. My mother didn't like them, so the only experience I had with them was the school cafeteria in elementary and that was just a huge no. I hated even walking in there on days the lunch ladies made greens.

Beet greens, mustard greens, chard, dandelion greens, and any non-toxic green (top) will do with a proper, Southern style cook with salted pork fat.

Back
Top Bottom