Recipe Collards

Other types of greens are hard to come by in sufficient quantity to use. Don't think I've ever seen mustard greens.

Dandelion greens only come in small amounts in S Florida. You rarely see beets with decent greens attached. The greens are usually pretty beat up. Mostly, they just sell the beets. We rarely see mustard greens. Kale and collards are the most commonly found.

Oh. Well perhaps we don't have them in the UK . Either that or they are called by another name.

I ate collard greens in Warm Springs, GA about 35 years ago. I remember thinking that the closest thing I'd eaten in the UK to resemble collard greens was turnip tops. As far as I know you can't buy turnip tops. I knew about them because I had three allotments at that time - you sow and raise turnips as usual, and then harvest the leafy tops with a pair of shears.

So ….turnip tops are not the same as collard greens, but the closest you're going to get to tasting them, short of booking a flight to ATL.

Yes, turnip greens will do nicely.

Although, some can be spicy, or peppery, if you will.

Don't forget the salt and pork fat.

I think I'll do a version of this today minus the molasses (we don't have any). I have a bunch of Kale and Mustard Greens. This will pair well with the beef ribs I'm cooking.

I think I'll do a version of this today minus the molasses (we don't have any). I have a bunch of Kale and Mustard Greens. This will pair well with the beef ribs I'm cooking.

You can use brown sugar, preferably dark, or even honey. You need a little sweetness to balance out the bitter greens and vinegar.

I've made Collard greens a couple of times. I used Italian sausage instead of bacon. The recipe is on here somewhere. I love the idea of adding beer to it. I think I will do that next time.

I also served mine with black eyed peas.
Are you originally from the south? I'm from Florida with a lot of Texas relatives as well, and greens with black-eyed peas are a big thing there. Not so much up in the Northeast and Midwest.

Nice recipe, CraigC!

So collard greens are any greens? Its just a generic term?
No. Collards are collards. I like mustard greens the best, personally. I think he was just indicating that any type of greens will work with this recipe but he used collards

Edit: I just realized how old this thread is, lol.

Are you originally from the south? I'm from Florida with a lot of Texas relatives as well, and greens with black-eyed peas are a big thing there. Not so much up in the Northeast and Midwest.

Nice recipe, CraigC!

I wasn't raised in the south. My dad's family is from deep South Alabama. I spent every summer with my grandparents for over a decade.

I wasn't raised in the south. My dad's family is from deep South Alabama. I spent every summer with my grandparents for over a decade.
That explains it. Most yanks haven't been exposed or they'd be kicking themselves for missing out on such a treat!

Back
Top Bottom