Common Food Myths

Funnily enough my daughter is s marmite girl. Rest of us vegemite. At dinner last night I overheard harry (10) say my favorite part of a roast is the gravy.
See how I'm getting them on vegemite lol

Russ

Interesting. I'd always understood it was simply a beef patty brought over from Europe by German immigrants from Hamburg. A minced beef patty / croquette also exists in Dutch cuisine (I think it's called frikadelle, or something like that) and the French bifstek hache.
I suppose you could call the UK the inventing country since the sandwich is named after the famous Earl. The hamburger just added ground meat to the things one can put between slices of bread. I can't guess what made up a ground beef sandwich from a German immigrant but I imagine it didn't look like what we call a hamburger today in the U.S. There are some great hamburgers made in the U.S. as well some awful ones. Most of them are fairly awful thanks to the fast food restaurants.

Who Invented Caesar Salad?

The Caesar salad is often believed to have been created by Julius Caesar himself. But it wasn’t. Caesar salad was invented in the early 1920s by Caesar Cardini, an Italian chef who owned a restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico.

He moved to Tijuana from California to avoid Prohibition, and it was here, on July 4th, 1924, where Caesar is believed to have invented the Caesar Salad. According to his daughter, Rose Cardini, the restaurant was overrun with American customers. Short on ingredients in the kitchen, her father assembled what was left: lettuce stalks, olive oil, raw egg, croutons, parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce.

Originally intended as finger food, the original Caesar salad recipe called for whole lettuce leaves, which were to be dipped in the dressing and then eaten with the fingers. It was a hit.

Cardini's salad became so popular that it was soon being served in restaurants all over the world. Today, it is one of the most popular salads in America.

Roast beef

Roast beef is a characteristic national dish of England and holds cultural meaning for the English dating back to the 1731 ballad "The Roast Beef of Old England". The dish is so synonymous with England and its cooking methods from the 18th century that a French nickname for the English is "les Rosbifs".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_beef

Caesar salad was invented in the early 1920s by Caesar Cardini, an Italian chef who owned a restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico.
And the restaurant , Caesar's, is still there.

1688391292681.png

I suppose you could call the UK the inventing country since the sandwich is named after the famous Earl. The hamburger just added ground meat to the things one can put between slices of bread. I can't guess what made up a ground beef sandwich from a German immigrant but I imagine it didn't look like what we call a hamburger today in the U.S. There are some great hamburgers made in the U.S. as well some awful ones. Most of them are fairly awful thanks to the fast food restaurants.
Yeah, we were just discussing that on the previous page. And I totally agree that there are some awful burgers out there, not just in the FF world though. These days I would just rather make them fresh at home.

Lol, cultural differences.

Nursery food refers to all food eaten by children prepared by their nanny because the aristocracy did not have meal times with their children (who invariably ate earlier). A nanny is not a cook and would generally feed them soft foods eaten with a spoon (probably overcooked) or finger foods in the nursery away from the adults so they did not annoy them.

That's correct.

Back
Top Bottom