Complete sustainability?

chefjlin

Veteran
Local time
3:03 PM
Has anyone ever come close to not rely on buying food at the market and just live completely off the land? Is it possible? I just started my little garden on a plot of land and would like to move towards becoming self sustaining.

We used to. I say used to because we sold everything we owned and went off the cycle around the world and since getting back don't have a large garden.

We used to have a very large garden available to us, over 2 acres. We had a sizeable veg plot, large greenhouse, large soft fruit area, huge fresh herbs area, an secondary veg area where stuff that could tolerate harder conditions and less fertile spoil grew, as well as numerous fruit trees growing around the place. I also had various edible flowers growing in my borders as well. Once you got the hang of it, the only really busy times of year were the main sewing season, but it was essential to ensure that you didn't sew all the lettuce seeds, peas, beans, leeks, at the same time, - that is to say all of the same crop at the same time, but scatter a handful of seeds once a week. Neat rows made weeding easier, in that if it was not in that line, it was weeded out.

I loved it and really miss it. Hopefully when life settles down again we will start up that way again. In summer we hardly even needed to buy veg unless we had had a complete failure of one particular crop. Through winter we would not need to purchase the staples, such as potatoes, leeks, kale, etc. Spring just before things stayed to really grow was when we used supermarket veg the most, but we also harvested wild from our garden as well, so often used to eat nettle (very tasty and better for you than spinach and something we would look forward to), hop tops (similar to asparagus) and other young leaves.

It is possible if you have enough land and can work it as basically a full time job. You will need at least a few acres so that you have not just enough room to grow food, but a field that is large enough to sustain livestock for your meat, unless you plan to eat only chicken or are vegetarian. I know people who grow a large percentage of their food, and it is a huge job, very difficult to keep up with in addition to their regular jobs during the busy part of the season.

There are countries where that is how they live, and if you live on a farm it is possible. However, as much as I think it is a good way, we can look at history when crops did fail or the weather was bad and people starved. Back then there were no freezers or canned goods to fall back on, so having both options to live off the land and also to utilize what modern technology has given us is a better idea.

The thought to making your own bread from scratch is a long job, but you can buy flour and make your own bread rather then make your own flour. Growing your own vegetables is always good, cheaper and fresher, but fruit trees can take years to grow, but are worth nurturing if you have the land and time.

I wouldn't & couldn't raise livestock for meat.

Mainly because I couldn't and wouldn't want to have to kill them for meat, nor would I want to even SEE them being killed!!

I once saw a pig being slaughtered for meat! I felt so bad for the poor pig that I stopped eating pork for about 6 to 8 months!!! :eek:

I believe it's possible if you have the land and resources available to you. Shermie I too have seen the slaughter of chickens and pigs at a young age and just speaking about it now brings back memories that are not pleasant.

Outside of the livestock I am good for being "self sustaining" with the fruits and vegetables only.

Back
Top Bottom