Cook or bake..which do you prefer?

Local time
5:49 AM
Cook, cook and cook again. If I am in the mood for it I can cook for an entire day, an entire week, an entire month. If I am in the mood, and most times I am in the mood. On the rare occasion I welcome a break.

I can't say the same for baking. I am trying to get my baking groove on so I can be the "queen" of the kitchen. I don't think it's enough to say you are a good cook. So just for the stripes, I am willing to take on the baking challenge.:)

Cooking is something you do everyday, even if it is minimal, however baking does take time and I enjoy it. Whether it's a pie or a cake, it's something I create and I never know how it will turn out. I see it more of a relaxing past time with a good outcome and I never try to bake in a hurry as it never turn out well.

I see cooking as a necessity which has to be done most days with a break in between when I buy fast food or when I cook food to last 2 days. However, I see baking as a fun thing to do. It does not have to be done every day, only if you are in the mood for it. I do not do a lot of baking these days though; I tend to buy ready-made cakes, pastries and sweet bread from the grocery store or bakery, but I like the feeling of having baked something that turns out good, and that encourages me to try it again. I am not one that would enjoy cooking an entire day. Two hours spent in the kitchen is adequate for me. Then again, there are some meals that I enjoy cooking more than others.

With cooking it's much easier to experiment with different ingredients and methods. Baking generally requires you to follow a recipe exactly, to get the mix of ingredients right and the necessary preparations. I used to do a lot of baking, even making bread from scratch, but I no longer do any. I still enjoy cooking my main course dishes in my own way and trying out new ingredients, without needing to have a recipe book to hand.

I used to be really into baking, but not so much anymore. There just aren't a lot of baked goods that I really want to eat anymore. I do prefer cooking to baking. I like the savory foods better than the sweet. I love vegetables, lots and lots of vegetables, and there are very few baked goods that involve lots of veggies. Although now that I think about it, maybe I will try making some loaded cornbread. That sounds really good on a cold foggy day like today.

I prefer cooking because I'm not very fond of measurements and I just like the whole activity of cooking overall as compared to dealing with mixers and ovens via baking. I would admit that it's a nice break from cooking as an activity though and the results are of course still very tempting but all in all I still favor cooking a whole lot more as I prefer savory foods to cakes and pastries anyway. I know savory foods can also be baked but I think most of the time baking is related to sweets.

Only today I was in the kitchen and it came to me that I have never seen anywhere where you can "fix" a bad cake. Maybe there are some ways but I find it difficult to imagine.
Not so with cooking. Too salty, too bland, too thick, too thin are all problems that can be corrected. I am still going to attempt more baking. I saw some beautiful cakes online.

I guess baking wins hands down. The advantage of baking is that you rarely get hit by cooking oil and I really have cooking oil phobia. I've experienced getting boils in various body parts because an errant oil hit me when my dad was frying fish. I don't ever like cooking a dish where oil's involved. So baking it is.

I guess baking wins hands down. The advantage of baking is that you rarely get hit by cooking oil and I really have cooking oil phobia. I've experienced getting boils in various body parts because an errant oil hit me when my dad was frying fish. I don't ever like cooking a dish where oil's involved. So baking it is.

In pain from laughing. I have taken a few hits but I have always shared a few blows with my 'knock out" dishes. I thought those hits would motivate you to get into some more serious training and come back for "the kill". :)

In some ways I am still like you. I like to "bake" a lot of my meats. That way I don't get "burnt" very often.:wink:

I prefer cooking over baking. With baking, the measurements must be precise. I love to cook organically. I hardly measure anything when I'm cooking. Cooking lets me indulge my creative side.

Back
Top Bottom