"Cooking Fatigue"

I've acquired "Everything Fatigue." Cooking, house cleaning, yard work -- it has all gotten to be a chore. Cooking used to be a great escape from my crazy work/travel routine. Same with yard and garden work. Now, when I do work, it is a break from cooking. :laugh:

"Variety is the spice of life," and when you don't have that spice, life can become bland.

CD

I hear you. I don't know if it's because we've hit a new peak here in the US or having COVID myself but I'm so ready for it to be over. And, you are correct that it would get boring pretty fast if we just "rinsed and repeated" every day.

Same here Taster mate. We still argue over who cooks what. Today the wind has finally started to change to the north wind (bura ) so because it is pushing the south wind (yugo) back it's the first serious rain we have had. Tomorrow when the Bura is in residence (cold 17c but dry ans sunny) we will go out.
Thanks to Morning Glory link to the Ex Pats shop we will spend most of the day arguing about what to order.

Have you ever seen Tom Papa? He talks about marriage in this segment. I think he's funny.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBFclnVq-FQ

No change here either....but then we hardly ate out anyway and only occasionally got takeaways so I suppose that's not surprising. I expect if you're used to eating out a few times a week then you'd be feeling the difference - even more so if your usual habit is meeting friends at the pub at the same time (not us, but there are families who regularly get together and eat in our two local pubs).

Certainly I think this time round people aren't baking as much....because I can still easily buy bread flour, other flours, sugar and eggs (which were in short supply when the first lockdown hit). So I guess the novelty of it has worn off for some people.

We are getting a second wave here in the US. I expect it won't be as bad relative to getting food and supplies as when it first hit.

It's hard to believe that our ancestors cooked and baked all the time before we had all the modern conveniences of appliances, fast food and microwave meals. I guess we'll look primitive to our descendants. ;-)

Covid has spiked tremendously here in the US, mid November. My bods' got learned antibodies and if I had it second time, it was much milder in effect. As an old retired disabled Vet, I don't get out as often as I used to, despite the lockdowns. So routine for me is what I build up in terms of hobbies, the most intense of which has been studio photography. Over the months, I have slowly been building up my studio, lighting, stands, backdrops, you name it, including new software for post-processing. I still like to get some outdoor photography done, but that's difficult with lockdowns. With the new upturn, I just got an alert from the county that this all just got worse still.

My cooking at times, has depended upon the microwave and quick processed foods, but still go for something requiring work, from time to time. Yesterday, for instance, I had boneless porkchops over mixed rices, annaheim peppers, onion and garlic. This was topped by Pickapeppa Sauce.

Your meal sounds wonderful. I could go for a nice chop right about now. How did you prepare it?

I'm glad you survived your bout with COVID. Fortunately, I was mostly asymptomatic. I won't use my stove or oven if my caregiver isn't here because I've passed out with them on and don't want to put my neighbors in harm's way. As a result, I rely on my toaster oven, microwave and/or air fryer to make or reheat meals. It's been a life saver for me.

P.S. I have always wanted to take photography classes as I do digital scrapbooking. I think it would save me some work on the backend in having to "clean" up photos. It's something on my bucket list.

You need to get started on your own cookbook! I'm still wondering how you manage your lovely tea menus. ;-)
I have two afternoon tea cookbooks; one from Britain and one from the US, plus, there's always the internet...

Apparently, there's a print magazine called "Tea Time," and they do nice stuff:

TeaTime Magazine

Have you ever seen Tom Papa? He talks about marriage in this segment. I think he's funny.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBFclnVq-FQ
He cracks me up. He does a segment on "Live From Here," well...he used to, I think that show got cancelled, where he calls in from wherever he's traveling for live performances, and discussed the weird stuff that's happened to him.

Your meal sounds wonderful. I could go for a nice chop right about now. How did you prepare it?
I bought a blend of Mixed Rice that is very good and added, extra Long Grain Wild Rice, Perlatto, Barley and a small amount of Brown Lentils. I cooked that up and laid it down in a baking dish. Then I chopped the Anneheim Peppers, Onions and Garlic and covered the Rice. Finally, I laid the boneless chops over all that in the baking dish and glazed them with Pickapeppa Sauce. I then cheated, took the easy path, and microwaved the whole thing for about 15 minutes on high heat.

Backbay, it sounds like your plate is full. Caretaking, alone, is quite exhausting. I don't think you're complaining at all. Sometimes, it helps just to share with others who care. I do.
C
Backbay, it sounds like your plate is full. Caretaking, alone, is quite exhausting. I don't think you're complaining at all. Sometimes, it helps just to share with others who care. I do.

MJD, Thank you.
When I look at the world around me, I feel very fortunate to live the life I do. I have my health, can cover the basic needs plus a little more and Blessed with good friends and family. So for me complain about cooking fatigue almost feels selfish even though it's the way I feel 🤔

the important bit is in the first sentence:
"many people dove into cooking and baking when the pandemic first hit, but, now, many are growing tired of it."

wrong reason(s), wrong impetus, wrong situation, wrong solution.

those who cook because they like really tasty eats don't have the problem.

I am tired of trying to feed G without repetition. Pre Covid he would be out of town 3 or 4 days a week 3 weeks out of the month. It was fun to cook for him. 24/7 has worn me down. The older he gets the needier he gets. He cracks me up. He insists on cooking some large portion of food then complains about eating left overs. Yes I cook large portions of gumbo, soup, chili and stews. Easy to freeze. G wants to cook massive amounts of protein but will not freeze his meat. He complains about left overs. If he does freeze he bitches about having left overs when I defrost it. :hyper:
i am done in. I could give a cr@p. The only thing that keeps me motivated to cook is this forum. Thank you.

I am tired of trying to feed G without repetition. Pre Covid he would be out of town 3 or 4 days a week 3 weeks out of the month. It was fun to cook for him. 24/7 has worn me down. The older he gets the needier he gets. He cracks me up. He insists on cooking some large portion of food then complains about eating left overs. Yes I cook large portions of gumbo, soup, chili and stews. Easy to freeze. G wants to cook massive amounts of protein but will not freeze his meat. He complains about left overs. If he does freeze he bitches about having left overs when I defrost it. :hyper:
i am done in. I could give a cr@p. The only thing that keeps me motivated to cook is this forum. Thank you.
I hear you about the frustration with cooking like that. For the most part, MrsT is happy with what I make. She'll complain, plenty, but I think that's just her personality. She knows the alternative is takeout and junk food, and she likes her homemade stuff too much. I was on an Indian kick once, and made probably six Indian dishes over a month, and it took her that long to finally tell me, "It's not your cooking, I just don't like Indian food. Please don't make any more."

Basically, though, she stays out of the kitchen, literally and figuratively.

Leftovers: neither of us really like immediate leftovers, with a few exceptions, but we don't have any problem with freezing and eating something later. Since I got my vacuum sealer, I've been freezing everything, even cakes frosting. I've appreciated, over the last few weeks, being able to thaw out some soup and supper's made for the night.

I know what you mean. There are times when psycho-poodle walks up and drops his tennis ball at my feet, and I think, "Again? I played with you yesterday." Of course, I stop what I'm doing to kill time and play with him, but I don't enjoy it as much. :rolleyes:

I have an idea for a seafood challenge entry that is cajun. I have everything I need, except motivation. Plus, I keep hearing this voice in my head saying, "The minute you get this done, written up and photographed, you are going to find that EB made the same thing, and posted it five minutes ago." :laugh:

CD

I know what you mean. There are times when psycho-poodle walks up and drops his tennis ball at my feet, and I think, "Again? I played with you yesterday." Of course, I stop what I'm doing to kill time and play with him, but I don't enjoy it as much. :rolleyes:

I have an idea for a seafood challenge entry that is cajun. I have everything I need, except motivation. Plus, I keep hearing this voice in my head saying, "The minute you get this done, written up and photographed, you are going to find that EB made the same thing, and posted it five minutes ago." :laugh:

CD

Your post reminded me of this meme I saw a few weeks back...

quarantine-memes_7.jpg

Last edited:

There is room for more than one Cajun fish dish... :okay: :D

Back
Top Bottom