Cooking for a Crowd

MyDigitalpoint

Veteran
Local time
3:13 PM
Website
epage.pro
Holidays season is around the corner and many of us have to cook for a crowd sometimes, so I thought to start browsing the web to find some tips to help me cope with the hysteria of having too much to do and not exactly knowing how.

This is what I found,
Cooking for a Crowd: Tips and Techniques for Success

With the holidays approaching, first-time hosts and hostesses may be scrambling to find recipes and ideas that can easily accommodate a house full of hungry guests.

But cooking for a crowd can be painless, with some preparation. Ai InSite spoke to Chef Liz Holt —1993 Culinary Arts graduate from The Art Institute of Atlanta, who provides catering services to clients as large as the American Airlines Admirals Club — to learn the ins and outs of cooking for a large group of people.

DOES COOKING FOR A CROWD REQUIRE PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE

Almost anyone who is up to the challenge can create a large meal, according to Holt. But planning is important — and first timers need to be aware that the preparation can be time consuming.

“Timing and preparation are the keys to pulling it off successfully,” she says, adding that in cases of cooking for very large groups “it helps if you have worked in a restaurant or hotel that does banquets.”

BIG VS. SMALL

Aside from orders of magnitude, Holt maintains that there really should not be a difference between preparing meals for large or small groups.

“The only difference is you are making more of whatever you are preparing,” Holt says.

But there are exceptions.

Because meat may be cooked rare, medium, or well, it can be difficult to balance cooking steaks for a large group.

“If they are cooked to order, or something like a cookout, then temperatures can be controlled.” But if the dish is going to be placed out for serving, its quality could quickly diminish if the meal begins later than expected, she says.

BEST FOODS FOR LARGE GROUP

Holt is a fan of buffets, which make it easy for guests to choose what they like to eat. She recommends utilizing cold items that won’t dry out while the food is sitting out—like trays of fruit.

And she believes that hot foods in sauces are another safe choice.

“[They] will weather the test of time in a chafing dish,” Holt says.

One tip that will likely save a first-time cook is to always have back-up food on hand. In cases where extra guests show up — or the food is so scrumptious that everyone eats more than expected — having extras in reserves keeps a variety of food on the table.

“Too much is always better than not enough,” she says.

PRESENTATION TIPS

Just like in a restaurant, a savvy home cook will arrange a buffet to showcase certain items — usually those that are most popular and likely to run out quickly.

To extend the longevity of featured items, Holt suggests placing the items at the end of the buffet line. That way, plates are almost full and there is less space to fill with featured or popular items.

Holt states that full service, sit-down meals tend to run more smoothly when hosts implement a plating line. “Have a plating line set up in the kitchen and move it out as fast as you can.”

PREP TIME

Because all meals are different, preparation times vary. But getting an overall view of everything that needs to be completed provides an outline of what a host can expect.

Holt suggests that preparation begins with a list. “Go over and over that list,” she says.

She makes lists for ingredients, food prep, any helpers, and recipes. And she views the day of a big event like a play. Even with the most careful rehearsing, something may go wrong — but the show will go on.

“Remember to relax. If the salad dressing is not quite right change it to something similar, it will be ok. Some events take weeks to plan. Some take an hour,” she says of her experiences.

But even though it can be stressful, cooking for a crowd can be a challenging and rewarding experience.

“Just remember when it all comes together and you look around at all the happy people, it makes you feel like a star. You orchestrated a great time [and] you had a great time doing it,” Holt says.

Source. The Art Institutes, http://www.artinstitutes.edu/

This was really lengthy to read but also informative as well. When you really want to see the crowd happy with your dishes you don't really find it tougher when you know the basics of perfect cooking. Once you have experience in cooking you'll automatically derive few tips on your own. On my personal note, it completely depends on the way we think of cooking for them.

Yes, practice makes perfect and overtime we do not only learn to cook -- and do it right -- but also how to cooking for the crowd.

However I think the above articles is mostly oriented for people thinking of running a banquets service overtime. Or at least that was the sensation left on me after reading it.

That was quite informative indeed. It is fun to cook for big crowds especially if they are enjoying the dishes. Practice does make perfect though so the more the chef cooks, the easier it would get to really customize the meals up. Are you planning to cook for a crowd or is this for a Christmas dinner only?

I think the best way for me to cook for a crowd is to prep in advance. I make things in advance and freeze them or I chop up ingredients the night before. It just just so much easier to reheat instead of trying to make a huge meal AND get ready for the party.

That was quite informative indeed. It is fun to cook for big crowds especially if they are enjoying the dishes. Practice does make perfect though so the more the chef cooks, the easier it would get to really customize the meals up. Are you planning to cook for a crowd or is this for a Christmas dinner only?

Yes, I live alone and only during this season of the year I have the opportunity to cook for a small crowd, but yet more than I would cook for a regular meal just with my family when visiting, but I would like to start my own catering service sometime in the near future.

I think the best way for me to cook for a crowd is to prep in advance. I make things in advance and freeze them or I chop up ingredients the night before. It just just so much easier to reheat instead of trying to make a huge meal AND get ready for the party.

Good point! I remember myself cooking for a crowd many years ago and to the extent that at the party time I was so tired that didn't really enjoy the party.

The biggest key for cooking for a crowd is prep. Prep ahead of time and also do some math... Know how much you need to cook for X amount of people and prep accordingly with a little to spare in case some people want some extra of something. Give yourself plenty of time, plan and most of all... relax! Just let it come to you. If your heart is in it... you will be fine.

Keep track of time. Timing is key. You don't want your veggies overcooking while waiting on the protein or vice versa. Keep in mind how long things take to cook and visualize in your mind when things will need to be put on the heat and taken off in order for everything to come out hot and cooked properly at the same time. Organize, prep, cook, then serve.

Back
Top Bottom