Cooking in skillets

Not being quite sure of the exact meaning on "skillet", I sought guidance from t'internet. "American Christian Rock band" came the response. I never knew that. I am still no wiser. Is it called a "skillet" because of its shape, or because it is made of cast iron? We have several oval shaped cooking dishes that we call skillets, some are enamelled cast iron (Le Creuset, I think), some are ceramic. I tend to use them for oven roasting things like tomatoes or mushrooms because they are slow to heat up, and wouldn't burn like a metal roasting tray. We also have cast iron frying pan's, enamelled on the outside but not on the inside (some also Le Creuset). We call these "skillets" also. I use these because they can achieve, and maintain high temperatures, usually for searing meat - steaks, pork chops, lamb racks etc.

Not being quite sure of the exact meaning on "skillet"

As I understand it:

In America a 'skillet' seems to be interchangeable with the word 'frying pan'.

In the UK. it seems, we've adopted that term mainly to refer to cast iron frying pans or pans that can reach a high temperature and quite often pans without a long handle. Originally in English the term skillet meant 'a small kettle or pot usually having three or four often long feet and used for cooking on the hearth'. Merriam-Webster

Etymology:

Middle English skelet, probably from Anglo-French *escuelete, diminutive of escuelle, eskil bowl

As I understand it:

In America a 'skillet' seems to be interchangeable with the word 'frying pan'.

In the UK. it seems, we've adopted that term mainly to refer to cast iron frying pans or pans that can reach a high temperature and quite often pans without a long handle. Originally in English the term skillet meant 'a small kettle or pot usually having three or four often long feet and used for cooking on the hearth'. Merriam-Webster

Etymology:

Middle English skelet, probably from Anglo-French *escuelete, diminutive of escuelle, eskil bowl

The word "skillet" does have a broad meaning in the US, and is pretty much interchangeable with "frying pan.
Some of that is regional, but you would be understood using either term anywhere.

Basically, a skillet is a shallow pan with curved or slanted sides with a long handle, here. You can have an aluminum non-stick skillet, a cast-iron skillet, a try-ply stainless skillet. The most common use is to pan-fry or sauté food, but if the only pan you have is a decent size skillet, you can make something to eat. It is kind of like a chef's knife. If you only have one knife, that's the one to have.

CD

So what do you call the pan pictured in the top post?

I would call it a casserole or baking dish. When I use them, probably tonight actually, I'll do the actual cooking part in a larger frying pan/skillet, divide into the 2 dishes, then place the eggs in and finish in the oven.

Ciao,
I have 4 fry pans but I no like any thing to heavy that I need struggle to lift up. I have very old cast iron casserole pot but I rare use it. I do like word 'skillet' it sound very old world. My favourite is a 30cm Judge pan heavy stainless steel I use for most thing I make in fact all my pan are stainless steel. Finally my pride is a large stew / soup pan that was my mamas it is solid copper sides are 7mm thick with very heavy bottom.

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom