Cooking lobster or crab

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:14 PM
I will start off by saying that I have never attempted to boil a live lobster or crab, everything I have ever made had already met its fate at the grocery store. I did hear recently that it can take up to 2 minutes for a lobster or crab to die when you put it in the pot to cook it and I thought that was horribly inhuman. I did some research and found that you can place the lobster or crab in the freezer before cooking it so that it goes into a sort of coma or sleep. What are your thoughts?

a lot of restaurants that deal in seafood will have a machine that humanly kills them with a electric shock,yes freezing does work ,and some people say rub them in between the eyes,hypnotises them but i reckon its an old tale
i have cooked both crab and lobster in a court boullion,i place them in simmering liquid ,bring the water back to the boil and remove from the heat with the seafood in the mix till cool,then the hard work starts picking ,cracking and removing the bits you don't want

Just an aside, it's "inhumane", "inhuman" literally means not human. That's so odd that butting them into boiling water doesn't kill them right away. I've pretty much seen all the chefs on cooking shows put 'em straight into the pot. Guess I learned something new today

I put them straight to hot boiling water and add some ingredients. But I also have this recipe from my aunt to add crabs in hot butter with garlic then putsome Sprite or Royal tru Orange (Philippine Orange Soda). It taste good and the aroma is great.

We cook crab with fresh coconut milk. Boil the coconut milk then when already boiling put green chili pepper and salt to taste. When the sauce is becoming to thicken put the crabs and cook until its color turns to orange already that is a sign that it is cook already and when its sauce thickens. Sometimes we add vegetables like squash and string beans and this add flavor to this crab dish.

Just an aside, it's "inhumane", "inhuman" literally means not human. That's so odd that butting them into boiling water doesn't kill them right away. I've pretty much seen all the chefs on cooking shows put 'em straight into the pot. Guess I learned something new today

I do not think it is human, or the human thing to do, to let these animals die a slow, cruel death...as in it is not within good human nature.

ReadmeByAmy_ your way to prepare crab sounds delicious, especially cooking them with fresh coconut milk. I love eating crab because you have to work for your food and it makes it much more fun to eat that way.

I usually put my lobsters in boiling water with a few lemon slices,salt and pepper which helps to enhance it' flavor. When the lobsters are finish cooking I put them to cool before removing the shells; then I have it diced and seasoned with my favorite herbs and spices and leave to marinate for a few minutes. I'll then have it brown-stewed or curried with a lot of cayenne pepper.

This is how we cook crabs or lobster.

For a kilo of crab, we buy 1 shredded coconut. After pressing the shredded coconut to extract the milk, pour it in a pot and let it boil for 10 minutes or until the milk produces some solids. Those solids are called Latik, can be eaten and it really is the thing that gives the flavor. Oops, we almost forgot the crabs. Now, add a half cup of water to the pot and put the crabs in that boiling coconut milk. Let it boil for 15 minutes. Turn off the stove and serve after 15 minutes of resting in the pot.

I really enjoy my crab and lobster just plain with lots of melted butter for dipping. We do not eat either very often, so I just like to savor the taste and enjoy the moment. I am not much of a coconut flavor person, so I don't think I would like crab or lobster marinated in coconut milk. It just would not appeal to me at all. I would probably like the kind spiced with cayenne pepper through. Plain crab and lobster is my favorite way to eat it.

My girlfriend works at Red Lobster and when they get their lobsters, they come frozen and "wake up."
For some reason they boil them two different ways. They either boil them alive and cut them from the back
up to the head. My girlfriend said that it's sad when they get boiled alive because they let out a cry until they die. :(

Just put the crab in the pots and don't think about the ethical dilemma unless you're a vegetarian. Crab is really good with some Singaporean sauce. I seldom eat lobster because it's pricey as hell in my region but we eat a lot of coconut crabs-- they're bigger versions of crabs with tastier meat too. I'll maybe eat lobster once a year on my own money.

Back
Top Bottom