Cooking Strategy When Camping

zararian

Veteran
Local time
10:19 AM
What are your cooking strategies when camping?
Once a year we go out camping as part of our bonding activities. the foods we usually bring are easy to cook foods and not necessarily canned goods. Some strategy are to choose foods that are not easy to get spoil, bringing enough cooking utensils (portable cooking set) and bring tight containers.

When we go camping we bring our propane stove along with some basic pans and utensils. We bring foods like hotdogs, marshmallows and who knows what else. We keep a cooler heavily iced for our cold stuff.

We cycle tour and camp a lot (having spent 12 months living out of a tent on the road touring) and simply cook normally. No strategy or the likes, just normal food (with the exception of oven baked obviously). If using the bikes then we have 1 'ring' available (this can be gas, meths or any other fuel) so pasta will get cooked in the sauce it is to be served with (just add more water and boil off), eggs get cooked Israeli style (or at least that is how it is known to this family) effectively poached in the sauce being cooked (so everything in one pot). If we are in the car with the tent, then we have 2 'rings' available to us and can cook more if wanted. We will also add dumplings to the same sauce as well!

I just go with the basics, a small stove for boiling water, the rest of the food is cooked over a campfire. I parboil the chicken, chop up the veggies and freeze it, saving on ice. Simple is the way I go and I carry only a limited amount of utensils and other hardware.

Back
Top Bottom