Cooking with butter and oil

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
4:43 AM
I tried to avoid cooking with butter or oil. My mom still greases a skillet with one or the other. I feel a low calorie cooking spray (or even a little water) will do just as good of a job. In many packaged side dishes it calls for butter. I omit this every time. It does not add to flavor or texture. I do use oil in desserts, but sparingly.

How about you - do you use butter or oil or do you use nothing or something else?

We cook almost exclusively with real butter and occasionally use cooking oil if the recipe calls for it, mostly with baking. We don't use low-fat anything in our cooking, but we don't eat much in the way of carbohydrates either.

I always use oil, but a small amount as much as I need and that's all. I only use butter for certain items like mushrooms or an omelet. I have dried dry frying mushrooms before and it is okay, but a small amount of oil doesn't harm and helps the ingredients to cook better rather than burn.

I use extra virgin olive oil for most of my cooking because it is a good oil for health. Coconut oil is also a good butter substitute, but the problem is that coconut oil does taste like coconut and thus your food will take on the flavor too. Coconut oil is one of the best heart health oils, but you have to like the flavor of coconut for it to work for you.

I hardly ever use butter but will almost always use a small amount of oil. I have heard some here speak of coconut oil which I think I will pick up next time I am in the supermarket. As much as I love the flavour of coconut, I know there are some dishes I won't want with the flavour. The butter will definitely improve taste but I still try to stay away.

I use butter and coconut oil. I do not think they are unhealthy in moderation. It is sugar and refined carbs I do not want. I rarely use a frying pan, so I am pretty much only using them in recipes or putting a little butter on top of something I have just steamed to add some flavor.

I am not sure I could ever give up butter totally because I love the flavor of it. There are just some things in this world that need butter. I have just learned to be a little more choosey as to when I use it and have cut back on my intake a little.

I actually cook and bake with both. I have found that replacing oil with butter makes the desserts almost always turn out better. Butter gives a better texture.

I am a big fan of coconut oil. It can do anything butter can do and it's healthier for you. You can usually find it at most supermarkets. If not there are places where you can order it on line. Coconut oil is actually a much healthier choice. I recommend it highly.

Back
Top Bottom