Cooking with fiber

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
4:02 AM
We all know that we are supposed to incorporate fiber into our diet. We usually think of eating foods high in fiber, but do you ever make a point to add a little to your cooking?

I have three high fiber items that I can add as needed. One is psyllium husks which is an insoluble fiber and good for digestion - it tastes a little oat-like but hasn't a great deal of flavor. Another is soluble fiber powder - dissolves completely in water and has no flavor. The last is wheat bran.

Soluble fiber can be added to many sauces without altering the consistency or flavor - just dissolve it in the liquid first. Psyllium husks and bran are a good add on to muffins, pancakes, or breads - add them to the dry ingredients before mixing.

This is an easy way to increase your fiber intake without compromising your recipes.

I came across this thread while searching these forums for bran muffin recipes. I want to compromise my recipes with adding bran, actually, I'm looking for a way to add bran texture or flavor to banana bread (using bran itself, of course, for health reasons.) So far, I've figured just a regular banana bread recipe with 1 cup of oat bran that has stood for 10 minutes in 1 cup of buttermilk added.

Back
Top Bottom