Cooking with my pets in the kitchen

Local time
12:52 PM
Who of you have pets and who of you like cooking with your pets? I find whenever I head to the kitchen to prepare a meal my girls like to follow, look at me to see what I have to offer and then just hang out on the floor if nothing is coming their way. Sometimes it feels like they are my cooking buddies.

Where I live some frown on dogs being kept in the house, far less hanging out with someone in the kitchen. What's your position? Do you like cooking with your pets or do you think they should be kept away from the kitchen?

Last edited:
The dog I dog sit for is simply too big. He can reach the kitchen counter and easily removed whatever he wants off that counter, so there is no way I have him in the kitchen. But the truth is that he is so well behaved he would not touch what I had prepared, just investigate it. Either way, when I cook, he is not in the kitchen, end of story.

Our animals usually have a look to see if there is anything going spare then wander off back to whatever they were doing [usually napping]. We don't worry about it because 1 - if it is to be cooked it is either cooked properly or it isn't and if it isn't whether the animals are present or not it is risky 2 - they show no interest in uncooked foods like salads anyway 3 - we accept that we are far more likely to catch something from a guest that one of the animals - check out the number of diseases you can catch from a healthy dog / cat as opposed to a human being [who seem to have a habit of hiding their illnesses].

The dog at home comes through the kitchen but that's it ,I could not have cats over my work tops like some people

We have 2 dogs loose in the house all the time. They don't usually interfere in the cooking. But once they do, that means the food in the stove is exuding a tempting aroma. In times like that, our 2 dogs would be on the lookout for droppings of sauce on the floor. But we always discourage our dogs to be in the kitchen because aside from disturbing the cooking, they can also be harmed or injured. What if the boiling oil in the pan wuold splatter on the floor? I am very careful of that because I love my dogs.

Oh, my dog comes running every time he hears the fridge open! Sometimes if I'm cutting up something dog-friendly, like carrots for instance, I give him a small piece or two.

He also loves apple and cooked sweet potato - but I don't mind giving him those things as treats because they're healthy!

Once he's weasled a treat or two out of me he usually leaves me alone!

Cats on worktops is my absolute no-no. Its absolutely disgusting when you think where there paws have been, scratching around in litter trays or in the dirt. Yet I know people (my sister included) who think its normal! I mean, would you regularly put your outdoor shoes, sole side down on the kitchen worktop?

Right now we do not have any pets, but when we did, the dogs were always kept outside, never in the house. We have had a couple cats who would be in the house. They had a habit of jumping up on the table to grab any bit of foodstuff they could find whenever our backs were turned, so we always had to be watchful and keep things covered when we were not around.

I don't think I would like having dogs in the house though, except they were well trained and not be a nuisance when I am in the kitchen cooking anything. However, some dogs can be quite docile and just wait until it is their feeding time. I much prefer having them outside though.

My girls are good for the most part. Once they realise no food is coming, at least two out of the three who stay indoors will just relax on the kitchen floor most times. If there is action elsewhere, they will head to where the action is at.

Maybe I said this before, but once when I was having guest for lunch, a lady arriving early saw one of my dogs in the house, and tried to direct her outside. I had to step to save my girl:).

My dogs are never in danger where they relax.

Some of my pets have been more well behaved than others. Our white cat for example will just sit there on the table in a zen-like state and just watch your every move and not bother you at all. But I used to have a beagle, would would constantly keep begging you for food and scraps, and would always get in the way. You couldn't turn your back on her for a second, because she was always trying to pull stuff off the counter, or knock over the trash can, etc... Plus she figured out early on that if she runs around your feet, she can trip you and make you drop food all over the floor - which she did often as well. Currently, my black cat is following in her footsteps. When she wants your attention she will keep walking by your legs rubbing up against you non stop until you give her your attention and/or feed her. She is incredibly persistent and it's really annoying. We also have a grey cat who will just jump right up on the counter and start eating whatever it is you have out. There's no shame in his game at all, he doesn't even pause and look at you like "may I have some?", he just goes for it.

I cats are not allowed on the counter top or near the stove. I also don't allow them to get up on the dining room table. When I go out the to kitchen to cook, they will follow me out there but once they realize that it isn't feeding time they leave again. I have been to people's house who allow their cats on the kitchen counter and it disgust me. Cats do not need to be near your food when you cooking.

Back
Top Bottom