Recipe Coq au Vin Blanc

Can you not grow herbs where you live.?

Russ
Russ, I've had no luck here in the middle of the desert.
On top of that, our homeowners association does not allow any structures that go above the fence line (about 4 feet), so no greenhouse here.
I have have had pots inside acoupla times, but for some reason all of a sudden there's all these nasty gnats!
I give up really and just buy what I need, when I need it.

On top of that, our homeowners association does not allow any structures that go above the fence line (about 4 feet), so no greenhouse here.
I have have had pots inside acoupla times, but for some reason all of a sudden there's all these nasty gnats!
That's such a shame.

Russ

Trying to grow indoors draws gnats and fruit flies. The reproduce in the soil, and they are hard to get rid of.

CD

I did not know that dawg, but I knew that it's no bueno!
If you were really interested, you could try a few pots or planters outside, something not too large.

I did that for a few years before I finally put in a small herb garden out back, maybe 4' x 8'. I hate gardening, can't stand it, but the herbs more or less take care of themselves, and it's so nice to be able to step out and get what I need without spending $2 on a tiny, withered up bunch from the supermarket that'll barely make two tablespoons.

caseydog I had your recipe on the menu for this week, went to the market this morning to gather what all I needed for the week ... and forgot the Mushrooms!!! DANG IT ALL!
We have a good snow storm coming our way tomorrow that's suppose to last until Saturday, so I hope that the fresh Thyme that I bought will last 🤞it was on sale for 50¢ :ohmy: I was able to use some of it today in my IP Chicken & Wild Rice Soup I made for lunch today.

caseydog I had your recipe on the menu for this week, went to the market this morning to gather what all I needed for the week ... and forgot the Mushrooms!!! DANG IT ALL!
We have a good snow storm coming our way tomorrow that's suppose to last until Saturday, so I hope that the fresh Thyme that I bought will last 🤞it was on sale for 50¢ :ohmy: I was able to use some of it today in my IP Chicken & Wild Rice Soup I made for lunch today.

Wet a paper towel and ring it out. Wrap the fresh thyme loosely in the damp towel, and store it in the veg drawer in the fridge. Thyme is pretty durable.

CD

Coq au Vin Blanc (white wine chicken stew)

View attachment 73018

Ingredients

6 Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken Legs and Thighs
Salt and Pepper
8 ounces thick cut bacon (substitute - pancetta)
1 Large Onion, diced large (substitute pearl onions or shallots)
4 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 Cup Dry White Wine (I used Pino Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc would be another good choice)
1 Cup Chicken Broth (add more if needed to at least half cover the chicken)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Bundle of fresh Thyme Sprigs

Instructions

In a heavy pan (I used cast iron) on medium heat, slowly cook your bacon until balanced between crisp and chewy. Remove to a plate.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper, and use the bacon grease to brown your chicken. Remove to a plate.

In the remaining grease from the bacon and chicken, sauté your onions, mushrooms and (near the end) your garlic.

Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of wine.

Add your bacon and chicken back into the pan, and pour 1 cup (more or less) of chicken stock to cover a little over half of your chicken pieces. Add your bundle of thyme sprigs.

Bring the liquids to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Put lid on pan, and let simmer for about an hour. When done, the chicken meat will pull off the bone with almost no effort. It will be moist and tender and full of flavor.

CD
Question caseydog , where does the Butter fit into this recipe? :scratchhead:

Oooops, I forgot to put 2 TBSP flour in the recipe. You use that to make a roux to add at the end to thicken the sauce. I need to fix that.

CD
I wasn't sure how it went into the sauce, so I just removed the Chicken to a plate, brought the sauce to a boil to thicken and swirled in the Butter.
THAT was really delicious!
I sub'ed the Bacon for Pancetta, just `cuz I had some ... 4 ounces of it, diced in the deep freeze that I found.
DH wasn't happy with it and Mom and I made pigs of ourselves, dipping our crusty Bread into the sauce, mmm!
So I have one serving leftover for lunch later for moi!

I wasn't sure how it went into the sauce, so I just removed the Chicken to a plate, brought the sauce to a boil to thicken and swirled in the Butter.
THAT was really delicious!
I sub'ed the Bacon for Pancetta, just `cuz I had some ... 4 ounces of it, diced in the deep freeze that I found.
DH wasn't happy with it and Mom and I made pigs of ourselves, dipping our crusty Bread into the sauce, mmm!
So I have one serving leftover for lunch later for moi!

Yeah, doing a reduction and just using butter works. Pancetta is a good idea, too. :okay:

CD

Back
Top Bottom