Coriander Leaf

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:00 AM
We use quite a lot of coriander leaf hereabouts. I've seen Jamie Oliver just grab a couple of bunches (minus roots, I think) and process in a machine. Am I alone to be sitting on my stoep picking each individual leaf off the stalk before using "as is" or chopping either by knife or electrical chopper?

[Note: I have plenty of free time]

I think it would depend what you are using the fresh coriander herbs for ..

I mince or finely slice most of my herbs with a good knife ..

Possibly, since you have an abundance, you may consider air drying and putting in air tight glass spice jars ..

We call it cilantro and as Francesca mentioned, it depends on what you are making. I have patiently sat and pulled off individual leaves. Then there are times I get rid of the larger stems and chop away! It is used quit a bit in Mexican food, mostly in raw form. I'm not sure of how much it is used vs epazote. I think the larger stems are used in Thai and Vietnamese cooking. It is an herb that people like or hate.

Last edited:
We call it cilantro and as Francesca mentioned, it depends on what you are making.
Well ditto really - if I'm using it to sprinkle on top of a dish I usually pick the leaves to use but that is really for appearance - but if , for example I'm using it in the 'body' of a dish - added to a curry for example then I chop up the whole lot. Also if I make a salsa or similar using coriander then the stems and leaves go in. The stems have more flavour than the leaves, I think.

Last edited:
Well ditto really - if I'm using it to sprinkle on top of a dish I usually pick the leaves to use but that is really for appearance - but if , for example I'm using it in the 'body' of a dish - added to a curry for example then I chop up the whole lot. Also if I make a salsa or similar using coriander then the stems and leaves go in. The stems have more flavour than the leaves, I think.
Agreed. We pick off the leaves for putting in salads or salsa's, but save the stems for blitzing up to make green Thai curry paste because they have more flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. We pick off the leaves for putting in salads or salsa's, but save the stems for blitzing up to make green Thai curry paste because they have more flavour.

My wife does not make her own curry paste. Her mother sends it from 1000 km away and she, nor I, have a clue what's in it. I only know that it burns holes in aluminium pans!

Nam ngeaw s.jpg

Some people have a very adverse reaction to cilantro. I understand that it is a genetic thing. To some people it taste like soap. Baby Brother is one. He is an amazing home cook and very adventurous in his tasting. He can not tolerate Cilantro.

Some people have a very adverse reaction to cilantro. I understand that it is a genetic thing. To some people it taste like soap. Baby Brother is one. He is an amazing home cook and very adventurous in his tasting. He can not tolerate Cilantro.
Yeah, it is genetic apparently - although oddly, my youngest son has this aversion (tastes like soap) yet neither me nor his father or any of his siblings do.

@Francesca :thankyou:I have perennial herbs - sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary year round. Annual herbs - basil, dill, parsley, fennal 10 months out of the year. The annual herbs bolt but I keep young plants on the sideline to replace the older ones. I keep the annual herbs under the patio cover during the cooler months - protects them from frost. I could keep them year round by bringing them in when we have a freeze. I don't care to do that - there are always unwanted hitch hikers on the plants or in the soil.

We use quite a lot of coriander leaf hereabouts. I've seen Jamie Oliver just grab a couple of bunches (minus roots, I think) and process in a machine. Am I alone to be sitting on my stoep picking each individual leaf off the stalk before using "as is" or chopping either by knife or electrical chopper?

[Note: I have plenty of free time]
Yes, you're alone.
I use and serve the entire plant (from the soil up). Just chop and go... Though excess is always frozen.

Back
Top Bottom