2 TBsp butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Bacon fat or vegetable oil for frying

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal and salt. Slowly stir in the boiling water, then the melted butter. Cover tightly and let stand for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat the egg slightly, then add the buttermilk. Stir this into the cornmeal mixture and mix well.

In another small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and stir quickly into the cornmeal mixture.

Using about 2 TB of batter for each pancake, fry over medium heat in a well-greased skillet (about 2 tsp of fat for each batch). When bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes, turn and brown the other side. Transfer pancakes to a heated plate and keep in a warm oven while cooking the remaining batter. Serve with
sorghum, molasses, or maple syrup.

Recipe courtesy of "Cooking From Quilt Country," by Marcia Adams.

Nice change-up from all-flour pancakes. This makes a thinner batter, similar to crepes, so don't expect a lot of rise, and the 2 TB amount puts these firmly in silver dollar pancake territory.

The cornmeal comes through nicely; not really sweet, not really gritty, just a little more...hearty, I suppose.

In true Amish fashion, I had mine with sorghum. MrsTasty used maple syrup.

I make corn cakes to go with beef stew, sometimes just plain, others with corn kernels, and sometimes with jalapenos for Craig. I just basically make thinned down cornbread batter to make them. They are thick like pancakes though. Lots of butter, nothing else.

I wonder why the boiling water step?

Silver dollar pancakes are small pancakes the size of the old US silver dollar coins, a couple of inches. If I can remember where I put them, I'll snap a picture. They are found a lot on children's menus since they are cute and fun to eat.

Last edited:
I was pleased to see no added sugar - I'd eat these minus any syrup but with a chilli salsa. Yes - for breakfast.

?

From Wikipedia:

"A silver dollar pancake refers to a pancake about two to three inches (5 to 7 cm) in diameter, or just a bit bigger than the pre-1979 silver dollar coins in the United States. This is usually made by frying a small spoonful of the same batter as any other pancake. One serving usually consists of five to ten silver dollar pancakes."

I wonder why the boiling water step?

My assumption is to soften the coarser stone ground cornmeal. I don't know if I'd do that if I were using regular cornmeal.

Does anyone eat pancakes with gravy instead of syrup? I haven't had it in years, but thought it was really good. The gravy was usually beef from pan drippings.

Back
Top Bottom