Could the Trump presidency lead to food shortages?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:30 PM
Donald Trump has plenty of proposals for how he would “make America great again,” and one of the most controversial is his plan to to round up and deport undocumented immigrants.

But apart from the toll such a plan would take on the deported immigrants, their families and the communities they’ve built, many Americans may not realize what it would do to one of the most basic components of their daily life: their diets. Approximately half of US farmworkers are unauthorized immigrants.

http://qz.com/641886/donald-trumps-...uld-lead-to-higher-food-prices-and-shortages/

Another issue could be his attitude to the SNAP program, which used to be called food stamps. It provides nutrition assistance to more than 45 million low-income people in the US, and provides substantial economic benefits to tens of thousands of communities. This year, it kept one in every Americans from going hungry. Nearly half of those receiving SNAP benefits are low-income children, and many others are disabled people and senior citizens. It seems that Trump wants to make SNAP independent of the USDA, thus making it more vulnerable to cuts.

https://foodrevolution.org/election-clinton-trump-food-policy/

Last edited:
Nothing good is gonna come out of this when it comes to feeding poor hungry children!

I hope that Congress does not let him get away with stuff!! :mad:

Well it does seem that it isn't a case of he can just do what he likes. There seem to be constitutional checks and balances in the U.S system. But its all a bit (big) unknown as there has never been a President so lacking in experience.

Search for song "Deportees". Both the song and the (true)story behind it.

The rounding up is nothing new, happens every year and without them, the system would never manage. And it goes right to the top, the very people who organise and run the flights out of the country.

As for increased prices, they're not even close to Trumps hands. The Mel Gibson movie The River, set on a farm had a few feeling "uncomfortable", because it came a lot closer to the truth than many wanted. Three grain suppliers in the US at present, telling the government what they want them to do.

Nice market share, when you think about it.

The Song
The crops are all in and the peaches are rotting
The oranges are filed in their creosote dumps
They're flying 'em back to the Mexico border
To take all their money to wade back again

Goodbye to my Juan, farewell Roselita
Adios mis amigos, Jesus y Maria
You won't have a name when you ride the big airplane
All they will call you will[ be deportees

My father's own father, he waded that river
They took all the money he made in his life
It's six hundred miles to the Mexico border
And they chased them like rustlers, like outlaws, like thieves

The skyplane caught fire over Los Gatos Canyon
The great ball of fire it shook all our hills
Who are these dear friends who are falling like dry leaves?
Radio said, "They are just deportees"

Is this the best way we can grow our big orchards?
Is this the best way we can raise our good crops?
To fall like dry leaves and rot on out topsoil
And be known by no names except "deportees"

The story behind it
On 28 January 1948, a DC-3 plane carrying 32 persons, mostly Mexican farm laborers, including some from the braceroguest worker program, crashed in the Diablo Range, 20 miles west of Coalinga, California. The crash, which killed everyone aboard the plane, inspired the song "Deportee" by Woody Guthrie.

The passengers were being returned to Mexico at the termination of their bracero contracts, while others were illegal immigrants being deported. Initial news reports listed only the pilot, first officer, and stewardess, with the remainder listed only as "deportees."[1] Only 12 of the victims were initially identified. The Hispanic victims of the accident were placed in a mass grave at Holy Cross Cemetery in Fresno, California, with their grave marked only as "Mexican Nationals"

Edited to add the film name, song lyrics and story.

Last edited:
It depends. If Congress will back him, then he can do whatever he pleases.
I hate to say this but Obama couldn't have done all the stuff he did without Congress.

It depends. If Congress will back him, then he can do whatever he pleases.
I hate to say this but Obama couldn't have done all the stuff he did without Congress.
I'm sure you know far more about the system then I do. I've only been reading up on it recently due to the events! I just hope there will be enough sanity in Congress to prevent the worst scenarios.

I'm sure you know far more about the system then I do. I've only been reading up on it recently due to the events! I just hope there will be enough sanity in Congress to prevent the worst scenarios.
I am so glad I hadn't taken a drink of coffee before reading your post.
Sorry but Congress and sanity usually don't belong in the same sentence.
I just hope we survive the next 8 years.

I'm totally shocked & appalled that he got in - especially after all those nasty comments he made about people, especially toward women!!!:mad:

In the UK we thought Brexit was a shock - and we are still reeling from it. What you have (and it will affect the whole world) is Brexit x 10,000.

This is my favourite

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 289
Back
Top Bottom