Crabs...

twinsmommy31

Veteran
Local time
9:42 PM
When the weather changes it seems that I see less crab advertisements. Are crabs mainly to be enjoyed in the warmer months?

It really depends on where you live I guess. Crab is popular all year long where I live. I live next to the ocean so we get it very fresh. Right now is lobster season and that just happens to coincide with Valentine's Day next month. Lobster is considered one of those luxury romantic foods for some reason.

Crab gets wildly insanely hard to find around here in the colder months because less fishing happens and there are less hauls so supply decreases and demand increases.

However in the warmer months unless the fisherman are having a plentiful season, the crab could still take awhile to get out here and taste good. (Unfortunately where I'm at, I'm inland in the states). I do enjoy a good crab though, and the mess that it makes (Similar to ribs) but it tastes so sweet and dips in every sauce so good.

Are crabs and crab dishes cheaper if you live near the ocean? I was recently wondering about this as I know some states regional food is crabs or lobster, so I wonder if they are more affordable for everyone to eat them so much in those states.

Twimsmommy31, where do you mean you see advertisements? In grocery store flyers or on tv?

It really does depend on where you live. People close to water have better access to fresh seafood and the cost is going to be lower because it's so accessible. Where I live there are places where you can go out and catch your own, but market availability can be affected by the weather or even pollution. I am still just a bit wary of seafood after that large gulf oil spill.

Crab season in the UK is April till November ,I buy the big male cock crabs ,listen for any excess water if you lift them ,I buy them alive,I don't like the pre cooked and prepared stuff very much it can become airiated and the meat separates as it gets removed by air lines ,we get as many top grade ones as we need from lymington

I am not well versed with crabs but we occasionally buy crabs in the wet market. We inspect if the crabs are good, meaning they are fat and not malnourished - to check, you should see the red colored fats. We boil coconut milk where we cook the crabs for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the crabs. And the best dip is lemon butter which makes the crab very tasty. It is best served with steaming rice and maybe if there is seafood soup, that would be fine.

What do you use to coat the crabs when you fry them? Do you use cornstarch or potato starch which is a better choice? Do you even bother to coat them anyway? I seldom cook crabs I do not know what to cook them with. Not to mention they are difficult to eat with those hard exoskeleton

Back
Top Bottom