Recipe Craig's Salsa

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:15 AM
This is a very simple salsa, but once folks start eating it, they can't seem to stop. It can be made with skinned fresh tomatoes and chilis. I just made a batch using some of the hot Hatch. It might be a little much for some. It will keep for several weeks in the fridge.The original recipe came from an '80s BA and it was to be served with lime flavored, corn tortilla chips.

Ingredients
1 28 oz can, whole plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 small cans chopped green chilis (preferably Hatch) drained, chopped if needed
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp sugar
4 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Directions
Combine all ingredients and chill for at least 5 hours.

Last edited:
Sounds easy and good. It may surprise you, but we just don't get canned chillies here. We do get jars (sometimes) but not easy to find. I did find these - they are 'pickled'. Is that the type of thing?

61912011_0_640x640.jpg

I've just today thrown the remnants of my last salsa in the bin. It's been in the fridge for at least six months! I'll be knocking another one up on Wednesday, probably. I have all the ingredients except the cayenne chillis.

salsa[1].jpg

I'm not familiar with the hatch chili. Does it also have another name?

They are big Jim's grown in Hatch, NM. Every year, August 31 and September 1, they have a chili festival there. I've ordered them online before, but last year a local grocery chain had them. They come mild (not so much) through El Scortcho. The ones I buy come whole and I roast them off in the basket of my Weber rotisserie, peel and seed them, then freeze them.

Hatch Chili Peppers are amazing. On the mild side with a HUGE flavor. They are unique to Hatch, NM. There are "look a likes" but none are as good as the real deal.
As CraigC stated there is a limited availability. I keep an eye out. Albertson's usually carries them in the very short season. They make a big deal of Hatch Peppers. They will have a Hatch Pepper Day giving out samples of roasted Hatch Peppers and, of course, selling lots of fresh Hatch Peppers.
I buy the peppers and roast some then freeze. Others I scald and freeze. No question - they are best fresh.

Just come across this, I'll be making some very soon, when we start picking own tomatoes, we are currently picking chillies, green and red, topped, deseeded then frozen.
I'll start a different thread on chillies after I take some pics of our chillies. My wife is nuts on chillies but she doesn't like heat,lol.
I'll use CraigC recipe.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom