Crawfish Creole

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:21 AM
When we have a crawfish boil, we make sure to have leftover tails. It takes about 10# of tails to get 1# of meat. This is a dish that can be made with either shrimp or crawfish. It is served with white rice and a mirliton/corm maque choux. Mirliton is what chayote squash are called in Louisianna. We also use crawfish tails to make a rustic, grilled pizza.

36788-albums309-picture6555.jpg

@CraigC
Did you post your recipe? Link it here to make it easy to find. I am interested in you interpretation Louisiana dishes.

I usually don't use recipes, I get a general idea from them then ad lib. For Cajun and Creole, I start with Paul Prudhomme, Justin Wilson, Emeril, John Folse, John Besh, etc.......

@CraigC

Did you hear about John Besh? He is being accused of numerous misconduct issues. His restaurant partners have asked him to resign - basically forced him to resign. He has also been asked to resign from directorships of charitable organizations.

My heart is broken. I love his restaurants, his recipes, all that he has done to promote the farm to table industry in the NOLA area. After Katrina he helped local folks get started in business raising pigs, chickens, ducks and of course organically grown veggies.

I am truly saddened. Did you know that he was runner up to Michael Symon in America's Next Iron Chef?

Regarding your list of Chefs

Paul Prudhomme took southern cooking to a new level with his blackened every thing. At one time I was on a blackening kick. Now I prefer cleaner flavors. I do refer to his recipes for other things. With Aborigine (eggplant) as a cooking challenge his web site was the first that I checked for inspiration..

Justin Wilson - his show was funny and entertaining. His accent was a total put on. He was from Baton Rouge - an island of culinary boredom in a sea of culinary richness.

Emeril - what a doll! Originally from New York or there about. He adopted NOLA as his home and Louisiana adopted him as a Native Son. After Katrina he helped his employees relocate - paid their expenses and found jobs for them where ever they landed. When things settled down enough to re-open his restaurants he moved them back to NOLA and put them to work. He was one of the first restauranteurs to open after Katrina. He fed many people at no cost. We are fortunate to call him our own.

John Folse - chef, restauranteur, cook book author, culinary school director. Very talented yet down to earth. I have his cook book Fish, Lies and Alibies. A beautifully illustrated book with so much more than recipes. He delves into the history of the seafood industry in Louisiana. Many of his recipes are old, family recipes. He features the contributing families. A very good chef and a cool dude.

Like you I rarely use a recipe. A little of this and a little of that. Joining this amazing forum presented me with the opportunity to share my wonderful regional cuisine with an international audience. How cool is that? I have had to discipline myself. Take notes, measure, record. I have also learned metric conversions. I can not tell you how many times I have asked for translations of terms or had to look things up. Our neighbors across the pond have so many wonderful, unique recipes. Recipes unknown in the US. I may need help - I am seriously addicted to this forum.

So - self discipline - record and share recipes. :happy:

@CraigC

Did you hear about John Besh? He is being accused of numerous misconduct issues. His restaurant partners have asked him to resign - basically forced him to resign. He has also been asked to resign from directorships of charitable organizations.

My heart is broken. I love his restaurants, his recipes, all that he has done to promote the farm to table industry in the NOLA area. After Katrina he helped local folks get started in business raising pigs, chickens, ducks and of course organically grown veggies.
I was so sad to hear about this also. I always thought he seemed like such a gentleman. But I thought that too about another man named John with the last name of Edwards...

As an aside, I did come up with a copykat of 1 of the recipes from Johnny Sanchez, the restaurant he and Aaron Sanchez have, the meatball taco. We saw it on 1 of Best I Ever Ate episodes and Alex Guaraschelli recommended it. We used to make trips to NOLA at least a couple of times a year when our DD lived there, but none since so I've never gotten to try it in person. Though I have to say my copykat version turned out to be really good. I've also made his gnocchi with crab pan sauce, http://www.chefjohnbesh.com/recipes-1/2015/6/17/gnocchi-with-jumbo-lump-crabmeat-and-truffle . Craig had gotten me some truffles for my birthday or our anniversary so I was looking for ways to use them up, probably our anniversary since I think we had gotten some Dungeness crab too and needed to use all that up as well. OMG, I'm not ashamed to admit I actually licked my plate. To tell the truth, not sure I wouldn't have done the same in the restaurant, though would have been a lot less obvious about it.

@medtran49

:welcome:

TRUFFLES!!!! Lucky you. I would lick my plate, the pot it was cooked in and the spoon it was served with. What a treasure.

Actually, it was more the sauce than anything else. The truffles were just shaved over the finished dish as a garnish. They were a great if you have them, but don't worry about it if you don't kind of garnish. We're lucky to have a local place that brings them in (as well as quite a few other delicacies) and they are usually a few $ cheaper (though not much) than what you can buy on-line because this place buys in quantity as they sell to the chefs in the mega yachts of extremely wealthy people.

Back
Top Bottom