1 teaspoon marjoram
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 1 /2 lbs white button mushrooms stems trimmed
1/2 cup flour
cooking oil

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, Old Bay seasoning, marjoram, garlic powder, and salt. Add the buttermilk to another small bowl.
  2. Wash and dry your mushrooms thoroughly. Add the mushrooms to a zipper storage bag. Add the flour and shake to coat. Dip them in the buttermilk and roll them through the seasoned panko breadcrumbs.
  3. Heat 1 1/4 inches oil in a Dutch oven, heavy pot or fryer to 375 degrees. Carefully add a few of the breaded mushrooms at a time frying until golden brown; 2-3 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain.

Source: Crispy Fried Mushrooms. by Beth Pierce

NOTES
  • So I know that you are supposed to wipe mushrooms with a moist paper towel but I prefer to rinse mine under cold water and dry promptly and thoroughly with a paper towel. I like to get them genuinely clean.
  • Pro-tip – avoid the dreaded breading fingers. Use one hand exclusively for the buttermilk and the other hand for the breading mixture.
  • If frying in something other than a fryer use a candy thermometer to help maintain a 375 degree frying temperature.
  • To help maintain a constant frying temperature work in small batches.
  • Mushrooms float when frying so carefully use tongs to turn them.
  • Remove the golden fried mushrooms to paper towels to soak up any excess grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom