Recipe Croatian pastries using pork fat

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
8:55 PM
The screenshoted info I mentioned is now irrelevant, so I will focus on the two yummy baked goods. I never made them at home though, so the recipes have been chosen just based on intuition.

Pogačice s čvarcima - Čvarkuše - Domaćica
(grammatically it should be sA čvarcima, but I will not mess up with that now:laugh:

Čvarkuše
Claims to be an old recipe.

Čvarci the name-giving meaty ingredient is pressed fried and dried pork belly fat: Recept: Čvarci

Ingredients:
Dough
  • 5 dcl milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 fresh yeast cube 40 g
  • 1 dcl oil (does not specify which)
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1-2 tablespoons salt
  • 850 g all purpose flour
Čvarci filling ingredients
  • 350 g čvarci
  • 50 g butter or margarin
  • pepper (does not specify which, assuming black)
  • if čvarci are not salted, salt to taste
Coating
  • 1 egg
Preparation:
  1. Warm the milk with sugar, remove from oven and add yeast. Leav at a warm spot for the yeast to come.
  2. Mix the milk with yeast with the remaining ingredients in a big bowl, make a smooth dough. Leave it at a warm place until it doubles in size.
  3. Grind the Čvarci in a blender or alike, season to taste and add butter.
  4. Work on the risen dough, and put on a flour covered area, roll it out to 0,5 cm thickness. Smear half the filling, (if the čvarci get hard to smear, shortly heat them in a microwave or on a stove to melt) and fold.
  5. Fold the left side towards the middle, then the right side towards the middle, the down side and the upper side towards the middle. Cover it with a cloth and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
  6. Put flour around the dough, roll it out again, put the rest of the filling on it, then fold in the opposite direction from last folding. Leave it to rest again for 15 minutes.
  7. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
  8. Turn the dough upside down after 15 minutes, so that the folded part is facing down. Put considerable amount of flour on the table, roll it out to 2 cm thickness. Use a glass or cutter to cut out the biscuits. Keep them spaced as they rise during baking.
  9. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
  10. Use all of the dough, even if not flaky, they will be tasty (I did not get that , but...)
  11. Keep the biscuits in an air-tight container to prevent drying out.
Note: do not worry about the dough folding, however yo do it, the biscuits will be flaky.

Back
Top Bottom