Cuban Adobo

6 to 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground bay leaves
2/3 cup fresh sour orange juice or lime juice

Place the garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and bay leaves in a mortar and pestle and mash to a fine paste. Work in the sour orange juice or lime juice. Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a blender and puree. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or cumin to taste.

Store the mixture in a jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to a week, but it tastes best when used within a day or two.

Makes about 3/4 cup - enough to marinate 1 1/2 lbs. of meat, chicken or seafood.

Source: "Caribbean Pantry Cookbook" Steven Raichlen

Last edited:
Your welcome Russ, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Please let me know if you make it.

Can you get sour oranges there? We held off making it until DH found them in the store.

Your welcome Russ, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Please let me know if you make it.

Can you get sour oranges there? We held off making it until DH found them in the store.

Never heard of sour oranges. Hmmmmm I have to investigate via giggle.

Russ

You can make "sour orange juice" by using 50/50 mixture of regular orange juice and lime juice.

Sour oranges can be found in the Hispanic produce section of your grocery, if they have one. They are pretty unattractive oranges, very fibrous and seedy. Try to get as firm ones as possible to maximize juice output.

Last edited:
You can make "sour orange juice" by using 50/50 mixture of regular orange juice and lime juice.

Sour oranges can be found in the Hispanic produce section of your grocery, if they have one. They are pretty unattractive oranges, very fibrous and seedy. Try to get as firm ones as possible to maximize juice output.

Few and far between I'd say, but I do have limes, so solved. Thanks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom