Cutting Boards

whitakermk

Veteran
Local time
2:58 PM
Are you a traditional bamboo or wood cutting board user? Or, have you started using the wide range of cutting boards made from other materials that range in colors? Which do you prefer and is it a choice based on tradition or something such as germ and cross contamination control?

I have a traditional wood chopping board, but I also have a couple of glass chopping boards as well. To be honest, the glass boards are much better and far more hygienic than the wooden one. I tend not to use the wooden one for chopping, but more for say making sandwiches.

I do not mind wood, but I don't really like to use it for meat. I know it is quite doable to get them clean, but because wood tends to be more porous, it require more time in the hot hot water, and more soap to be sure that they are thoroughly cleaned of any grease left by the meat. I have a small wood cutting board I got for free a while back, but I pretty much reserve that for quick fruit and veggie cutting. If I am going to cut meat, or have a lot of things to chop, I have some larger plastic cutting sheets that I use instead.

We have several cutting boards and we do have one really nice wood cutting board, but we don't ever use that one for anything to do with meat. I have never had a glass cutting board before, but I am definitely intrigued so I will probably get one of those too. :)

We only have a wooden chopping board, nothing else. But we don't have meat or fish in this household so it is not a problem and the wooden chopping board gets scrubbed from time to time, dried and re-oiled to reseal it.

I actually don't have a preference but my fiancé and I bought these plastic cutting board from Bed, Bath & Beyond for I think under $20. It came in a set of 4 and are all in different colors. The different colors indicated what to be used for (red for beef, yellow for chicken, green for veggies and fruit and purple for cheeses) so you don't cross-contaminate. It's held up really well even under heat and stuff.

Are you a traditional bamboo or wood cutting board user? Or, have you started using the wide range of cutting boards made from other materials that range in colors? Which do you prefer and is it a choice based on tradition or something such as germ and cross contamination control?
I usually use a regular wooden board, but I will use what ever I have available. I used a tray cover in the refrigerator before. It's glass so I had to be careful handling it. I only cut veggies on it, thats an easy task for any flat surface.

i have a few coloured high risk boards used for raw products and a big beach wood chopping board which doubles up as a serving platter,

We had the traditional wooden cutting board, the white thick plastic cutting board and the thin plastic colored cutting board in our kitchen for our cooking needs. For fishes and other seafood we used the wooden board, for the meats and chicken we used the white cutting board and for fruits and vegetables we used the colored cutting board. We also had separate cutting board for slicing our breads, cheese, frozen foods and other delis. They had their own use so that there is no problem with regards to contamination. And after using we cleaned it very well and sometimes we dry it outside the sun to remove its bad smell that was left after using it.

i have a few cutting boards - most of them are plastic and one thick wooden cutting board that I rarely use. :wink:

I have had all kinds of cutting boards over the years but truth of the matter is that I hardly use them. It's mostly when I get into my professional mood that I use one that is always there looking at me. I am a rush cook most of the times and the least amount of things I use, the least amount of things I have to clean up. The one I have staring at me most is made of decoran if I said that correctly. I came with the kitchen counter. The wooden and plastic ones must be hidden away somewhere.

I have a few different boards, wood, bamboo, and plastic. They are all different sizes and that is my reasoning for which one I pick. I suppose I should put more thought into cross contamination though. But I end up picking the smallest one possible that I need, so I can just pick it up and dump what ever I have cut into a bowl or pot, etc. I have actually stopped using my largest wood block because it is hardest to clean, I end up putting my smaller cutting boards on top of it so I can just pick them up and rinse them or put them in the dishwasher.

We have a wood cutting board that rarely ever gets used and then a couple of plastic ones. I do not use the wood one for meat at all as I am afraid that bacteria will stay in the board. After I use the wood board I give it a good scrub in the sink and then oil it to keep it from drying and cracking. The plastic cutting boards are used for just about everything in my kitchen.

I have a traditional wood chopping board, but I also have a couple of glass chopping boards as well. To be honest, the glass boards are much better and far more hygienic than the wooden one. I tend not to use the wooden one for chopping, but more for say making sandwiches.
I dont like the glass ones, they make a noise that goes right through me. I use plastic ones. Different ones for each food group.

Back
Top Bottom