Cutting machine for vegetables

I'm hesitant to recommend anything because I'm not sure what's on offer there, or what a "good" brand/maker is. Perhaps MypinchofItaly can help?

As is true with most things, buy the best you can afford. Food processors come in at a variety of price points, and the cheap ones are frustrating while they work, and then they break.

My last one, a Cuisinart DC-5 (I think) lasted me a good 25 years, and the motor was still going strong, but the plastic bowl was coming apart, and they no longer manufacture them, so I had to get a new one. That one had no features, really, beyond slicing, dicing, shredding, mincing, but I think I could have pulverized diamonds in it if I'd wanted to - it handled everything, even extremely stiff doughs.

My replacement, a KitchenAid, is crap. I'm just waiting for it to die before I get a better one. It turns the blade so slowly, I think I could safely reach my hand in there and stop it if I wanted. Dough...barely capable on the softest, smallest amount. :(

A good test when buying - if you can get to one in person, pick it up. A good, strong motor will be heavy. If you can palm it with one hand (as I can my 7/9 cup KitchenAid), put it back and move on.

No cubing, in general, at least with mine, but chopping, dicing, mincing, and anything just short of pure liquifying, a food processor can handle, so it's great for everything from veg prep for soups and stews, to making salsas, chutneys, relishes, sauces, nut butters, things like that.

It also works for doughs (well, it should, anyway). I've done breads and pizza doughs in it (the last pizza I made, posted just last week, I did in the food processor). You can also make your own breadcrumbs, I use it for that a lot.

Just to get some familiarity with what you should be able to do, here's a bit of info (from KitchenAid :laugh:):

What Is a Food Processor Used For? | KitchenAid

I searched through the local amazon for hours now, the most and best rated food processor seems to be the Bosch MUM series, its around 150-250€. I think we cant afford a higher priced one for now maybe.
What do you think should we go for one in this price class or save money for a more expensive one ?
Unluckily the most brands you have recommanded me are not available in local amazon and shipping from amazon.com is about ~50€ and more for them.

Its always hard for me to choose a product from amazon because of fake reviews and ratings, but i think this brand looks pretty good because all models of this brand have a lot of ratings (3k+) and almost all are above 4,5.
Im not sure if im allowed to ask for a specific model. For example this one: Bosch MUM48140DE or Bosch MUM48A1.

May anyone has some experience with one of them or Bosch MUM series in general, beside the tools the base seem to be quite similar ? Should i go for it or save money / wait a few years for better food processor or local amazon get stocked up with better models (or even pay 50€+ for shipping) ?

I wanted to update you.
Sorry we bought now a different device... My mother wanted a hand blender necessarily and those blender come with a lot of stuff. So this (Bosch MaxoMixx hand blender) is some kind of semi food processor, not what i looked for exactly but interesting tough.
It might be able to cut real cubes and has aswell a few discs, not sure how good this will work the food processor does not have an independet motor, which for sure wont be as strong like a standalone device.
Hopefully it will work out, but she wanted a hand blender anyway about 150€ and this one had this "food processor" - atleast the function i looked for already included.

Else we will buy a standalone device later on.

I wanted to update you.
Sorry we bought now a different device... My mother wanted a hand blender necessarily and those blender come with a lot of stuff. So this (Bosch MaxoMixx hand blender) is some kind of semi food processor, not what i looked for exactly but interesting tough.
It might be able to cut real cubes and has aswell a few discs, not sure how good this will work the food processor does not have an independet motor, which for sure wont be as strong like a standalone device.
Hopefully it will work out, but she wanted a hand blender anyway about 150€ and this one had this "food processor" - atleast the function i looked for already included.

Else we will buy a standalone device later on.
I'm not sure on the long term that this will do even closer to what you are after, I'm afraid.
We have something similar. Identical attachments and bowls but we don't use it at all.
At best my husband will sometimes use the stick blender to blend soup to make a partially blended soup with, but I prefer to use our liquidiser / blender for that. I find our liquidiser or even the food processer easier to use and the liquidiser actually has a cleaning mode so you just full with cold water add some washing up liquid press a button and the inside of the jug and blades clean themselves. My husband has been known to use the small blending bowl with it as well to make things like pesto, but since we bought our food processor with its 3 bowls we now tend to use that instead.

That said, I know members on here who don't use a liquidiser and will only use the hand blender for blending soup but I don't think she uses it passed that tbh, but it is possible in the Uk to get quite cheap hand blenders that do only that.

Please let us know how you get on with it and should you want you could alway write a review on it with photos and your own observations.

Hi,
we practice a very unhealthy diet for years. We maybe eat vegetables twice per month, one of the main reasons is all members in our family coming home very tired and its hard to get vegetables prepared (so the fast and easiest things getting cooked).
If there would be an electrical machine which could cut every vegetable to small pieces like cubes that would be awesome and help to include daylie vegetables in our meals.

Do there exist a reliable and indestructable tool to get this done? I know about those manual tools but they usual break after 3-4 usages and dont cut harder vegetables like carrots.
We would be open to pay ~200€. Can you please recommand me anything ? Thanks a lot.
Like this?!! :whistling:

I'm not sure on the long term that this will do even closer to what you are after, I'm afraid.
We have something similar. Identical attachments and bowls but we don't use it at all.
At best my husband will sometimes use the stick blender to blend soup to make a partially blended soup with, but I prefer to use our liquidiser / blender for that. I find our liquidiser or even the food processer easier to use and the liquidiser actually has a cleaning mode so you just full with cold water add some washing up liquid press a button and the inside of the jug and blades clean themselves. My husband has been known to use the small blending bowl with it as well to make things like pesto, but since we bought our food processor with its 3 bowls we now tend to use that instead.

That said, I know members on here who don't use a liquidiser and will only use the hand blender for blending soup but I don't think she uses it passed that tbh, but it is possible in the Uk to get quite cheap hand blenders that do only that.

Please let us know how you get on with it and should you want you could alway write a review on it with photos and your own observations.
On the video it looked very cool and i watched a few reviews were people said its working pretty good. I dont know. I need to test it, no clue. Hopefully they got not paid to say that oO.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGR7u40W9uo

But in any case its not as bad because this "food processor" is just an additional tool to the hand blender what my mom wanted and it looks like to be one of the better hand blender here local. So its not a complete waste.

The problem is i couldnt find a food processor which does cubes on local amazon, tough. Just slices or strips and those forms rarely work to cook something with.
We have already some kind of food processor with those different height knifes "cuisilux metalblock", but that never worked well.

Im not sure i can write a review later because english is still my third language, but i will update you how it works for us :wink:.

Last edited:
this (Bosch MaxoMixx hand blender) is some kind of semi food processor, not what i looked for exactly but interesting tough.

I use a hand blender all the time for soups and purees but mine has no attachments for chopping. I just rinse it under the tap to clean it. Looking at the one you have bought Danny94 it does seem to do what you are looking for as it also incorporates a chopper.

On the video it looked very cool and i watched a few reviews were people said its working pretty good. I dont know. I need to test it, no clue. Hopefully they got not paid to say that oO.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGR7u40W9uo

But in any case its not as bad because this "food processor" is just an additional tool to the hand blender what my mom wanted and it looks like to be one of the better hand blender here local. So its not a complete waste.

The problem is i couldnt find a food processor which does cubes on local amazon, tough. Just slices or strips and those forms rarely work to cook something with.
We have already some kind of food processor with those different height knifes "cuisilux metalblock", but that never worked well.

Im not sure i can write a review later because english is still my third language, but i will update you how it works for us :wink:.

I would imagine that this being the case that you already have the Bosch machine, that this would come in handy. If you DON'T have it, then the question becomes do you want it just for this purpose? Well, unless you already have a food processor, & I do, them why buy it unless you want to make a ton of dough? I don't know. :eek:

I would imagine that this being the case that you already have the Bosch machine, that this would come in handy. If you DON'T have it, then the question becomes do you want it just for this purpose? Well, unless you already have a food processor, & I do, them why buy it unless you want to make a ton of dough? I don't know. :eek:
Sorry im not sure i 100% understood the question (english is my third language).
We havent recieved the Bosch already, but it should be on the way. No one from us feels "pleasure" to cook, for me personally its a very annoying activity(sorry i know no one of you likes to hear that) and the same goes for all other family members. Like no one wants to cook and if someone cooks then the fastest possible recipe.
Cutting vegetables takes a very long time, because no one is very good with the knife and its required to cut a lot of vegetables for around 6 persons, it takes atleast 10 minutes and more for 50% vegetables meals. I know it would go one by one because you still have to wait for other things most of the time, but all members are "lazy" and "tired" from work, so the least possible work is preferred, which means no vegetables meals. You maybe need to keep in mind that if it takes for you around 1 minute for me it takes more like 10-20 minutes and i fear to cut my fingers so i wont be a lot faster with training anyway. (i watched already some tutorials how to cut correctly etc, but we also dont have very good knifes and i havent noticed a lot of improvement after 2 weeks)

Thats the reason i look for a "cutting machine", which does the work and save time -> more vegetables and hopefully all are happy. =)

By the way i have found something very cool, unluckily i wasnt able to cancel the order from amazon and my mom dont want to send the hand blender/food processor back once recieved. But the Food processors i named some posts before Bosch MUM4 series, especially MUM5 has a similar additive like the hand blender we ordered just better and more powerful. :( (but also very expensive)
I would have preferred that one over the hand blender, but lets see how it goes. Hopefully it works out.

Sorry im not sure i 100% understood the question (english is my third language).
We havent recieved the Bosch already, but it should be on the way. No one from us feels "pleasure" to cook, for me personally its a very annoying activity(sorry i know no one of you likes to hear that) and the same goes for all other family members. Like no one wants to cook and if someone cooks then the fastest possible recipe.
Cutting vegetables takes a very long time, because no one is very good with the knife and its required to cut a lot of vegetables for around 6 persons, it takes atleast 10 minutes and more for 50% vegetables meals. I know it would go one by one because you still have to wait for other things most of the time, but all members are "lazy" and "tired" from work, so the least possible work is preferred, which means no vegetables meals. You maybe need to keep in mind that if it takes for you around 1 minute for me it takes more like 10-20 minutes and i fear to cut my fingers so i wont be a lot faster with training anyway. (i watched already some tutorials how to cut correctly etc, but we also dont have very good knifes and i havent noticed a lot of improvement after 2 weeks)

Thats the reason i look for a "cutting machine", which does the work and save time -> more vegetables and hopefully all are happy. =)

By the way i have found something very cool, unluckily i wasnt able to cancel the order from amazon and my mom dont want to send the hand blender/food processor back once recieved. But the Food processors i named some posts before Bosch MUM4 series, especially MUM5 has a similar additive like the hand blender we ordered just better and more powerful. :( (but also very expensive)
I would have preferred that one over the hand blender, but lets see how it goes. Hopefully it works out.

If you dislike cooking, then no tool or machine is going to help. I believe you could learn to like it, if you gave it a chance. But otherwise, perhaps restaurants, take-out and frozen meals from the supermarket are your best option. If you want to make good food at home, you will need to put some effort into it. Keep in mind, that food processor isn't going to wash itself.

CD

If you dislike cooking, then no tool or machine is going to help. I believe you could learn to like it, if you gave it a chance. But otherwise, perhaps restaurants, take-out and frozen meals from the supermarket are your best option. If you want to make good food at home, you will need to put some effort into it. Keep in mind, that food processor isn't going to wash itself.

CD
I think its hard to learn to like something. Im more sort of hyperactive person and for cooking you need calmness and patience, the absolute opposite from me (i cant still stood, i have to walk around and do things...). Aswell im very fast disappointed if my meals dont taste good, some people gain enthusiasm to make it better while i feel more like depressed and loose even more pleasure to cook.
This is life^^ Some are born to do things like cooking and some are born for other things, but we will see. Most of the time (when i had to cook for my self) i just put frozen pizza into the oven for years.
Now im more interested in healthy food, may i will find some interest into cooking with time.

The food processor(plastic parts) we will simply add to the dish washer i guess.

Last edited:
I think its hard to learn to like something. Im more sort of hyperactive person and for cooking you need calmness and patience, the absolute opposite from me (i cant still stood, i have to walk around and do things...). Aswell im very fast disappointed if my meals dont taste good, some people gain enthusiasm to make it better while i feel more like depressed and loose even more pleasure to cook.
This is life^^ Some are born to do things like cooking and some are born for other things, but we will see. Most of the time (when i had to cook for my self) i just put frozen pizza into the oven for years.
Now im more interested in healthy food, may i will find some interest into cooking with time.

The food processor(plastic parts) we will simply add to the dish washer i guess.

I think you chose the right machine for what you want. Not everyone enjoys cooking and I really hope the new machine makes your life a bit easier and maybe encourages you to cook.

Hyperactive. Impatient. Can't stand still. That's me -- and several other members here. Cooking used to stress me out, and things went wrong all the time. Now, the kitchen is the place I go to escape my job, and all the other stressful things in life.

There is a French practice called Mise en Place, which makes cooking so much easier, especially for people like us. It means to get all of the things you need to cook your meal ready before you start cooking. That way, once you start cooking, everything you need is within reach, and ready to use.

Go slow. Do simple things first. Keep an open mind. You may find you like cooking.

CD

Back
Top Bottom