Day of the week meal tradition?

I've never really grasped the concept of assigning a certain dish to each day of the week. Monday - Meatloaf!, Tuesday - Tacos! Wednesday - Porkchops! And so on. It seems like it would get real boring real fast. I do know people who have a "rotation" who cycle a finite number of recipes over and over throughout a month. I can't fathom that kind of stifling organization in my cooking. It would take all the fun out of it.

We get the grocery store ads in the mail on Tuesday which I examine for sales, and based on what's on sale and what I have in the freezer and cupboards I sort of, kind of, plan menus for about 4 days' worth of meals. I'm off work 4 nights a week and even if my husband is working and doesn't get home until midnight, I cook some sort of dinner. I try to make enough food so there will be leftovers for him to eat on the 3 nights a week I'm working. And sometimes when we're both home at the same time, I don't feel like cooking and we have Chinese food delivered.

Can no tradition be considered traditional? I suppose it could be: Traditionally we eat what I feel like cooking unless I don't feel like cooking and then we order in.

Last edited:
Office canteens and restaurants here usually serve mongo soup every Friday. It looks like an informal tradition. So when Friday comes and you eat in an office restaurant, expect the menu to have that mongo dish. The partner of the mongo soup is fried fish, usually milkfish. My mother would say that mongo is good for the body and do not believe the myth that it causes arthritis.

Definitely no to traditions related to week days. It just makes very little sense in my opinion. In general I cook what I feel like eating or what I have the ingredients for in the house, simple as that.

I guess a similar "tradition" would be to pretty much always cook similar stuff when eating with the family. For example one relative always makes these basic traditional foods, we always make something a bit more exotic like asian or south american, another one usually has a seafood related meal etc. It's a bit about tradition but also sticking to what we know. Everyone cooks what they can cook the best and since my relatives often eat together it makes for a nice variety of different dishes.

When my grandma was alive, we used to have lots of traditions for eating. On Sundays, we would go to mass and then have a full cooked breakfast at her house and a roast in the late afternoon. Mondays she used to make a broth using the left over meat and stock from the roast. On Fridays, I used to have a dance class after school. We would go to my Grandma's house straight from school for chipsm (fries) and salad. These days, with the possble exception of a roast dinner on Sundays, I just tend to cook whatever we feel like based on the food I have in the house.

Friday's were always fish and chip day at the school I worked it.
It was the only day of the week that chips were served at all and I can remember quit a few canteens in warehouses and factories also bring the same, out there was a fish and chip van that came round only on a Friday!

Saturday evenings are family cooking day at my house. We like to cook up enough food for the weekend as Sundays are lazy days for us. Saturday cannot be complete without chapati and stew and I simply love the fun of everyone helping out.

I have a friend who every week the menu was the same, Monday was spaghetti, Tuesday was steak, Wednesday was pizza, Thursday was chicken, Friday was lasagna. He absolutely hated it. We try to have a traditional dinner for Christmas eve, which is usually a roast beef and for New Year's Day breakfast we always have steak and eggs.

We usually have chicken Thursdays in our house. We don't always prepare it the same way but it will be chicken!
It actually came about because of an Ole El Paso commercial on TV about Chicken Thursday and we just stuck with it! lol

The crazy thing with my family is that we always eat pizza on Saturdays. No matter what happens we always end up eating pizza for some strange reason. I don't even think it is because of our love for pizza and more so that it is the only place that is willingly to deliver anything to us.

No but many families in New Zealand cook or purchase fish and chips on a Friday night. I also remember my step dad who is English used to make a roast with vegetables every Sunday night.

Back
Top Bottom