Decorative Tins

These are some of my Dutch tins , posting the British ones later.

Two vintage tins from my grandmother, one is a rusk tin and the other was used to store cocoa powder. The one with the cocoa has a catholic nun-nurse wearing a typical outfit for the time. My grandma is the reason I collect tins. She passed her love of them on to me.

Two faux fifties tins with funny texts and vintage ladies on the other side.

Two christmas and one Halloween tin. I love the Halloween one.

Here are three tea tins:

The Harrod's one is recent, from around 2009-10. We got that as a whole tea-cup-biscuit-pudding-sauce gift box. It's hard to see, but Santa is off to the left in his sleigh, and his reindeer are off to the far right, happily pulling him along.

The other two are much older, they were my grandmother's, both made in England.

Two more:

The blue one is recent, maybe 2006 or so, imported from Germany, filled with lebkuchen, but bought from Sam's Club, I'm almost sure. It's also a music box.

The other one is older, and is stamped with "Made In Western Germany" on the bottom.

Another two, imported from Germany, filled with gingerbread cookies, bought from Sam's Club, and both are also music boxes:

A few more:

The Harrod's one is from this past Christmas, still has coffee in it.

The other two are from the 1990's. The letterbox had fudge in it, bought in England, and the Jack Daniels one probably had coasters or playing cards in it. It was also made in England, according to the underside.

More:

These are both from the '90's, bought in England. The Cadbury one had drinking chocolate (aka hot chocolate aka hot cocoa) in it, and the other one was filled with assorted toffees, and its little wheels move. :)

And the last thing I'll post, not a tin, but I like it anyway:

This is very new, from the Tiptree shop in England, and it's a crock that had a jar of strawberry preserves in it. We got it in 2019.

I laugh because of that little label. I can just imagine before they stuck that on there, they had to put up with a dozen know-it-alls a day, gleefully pointing out, "You've spelled 'colour' wrong!" :laugh:

I laugh because of that little label. I can just imagine before they stuck that on there, they had to put up with a dozen know-it-alls a day, gleefully pointing out, "You've spelled 'colour' wrong!" :laugh:

I was grading papers for my teacher around 40 years ago and corrected a Jamaican's spelling of colour to color, among other things that caused her to get a failing grade. She pitched an absolute fit because to her it was correctly spelled and would have been enough to get her to a passing grade. The teacher had to step in and settle the argument by stating yes, it's correct in Jamaica, but you're in the US now. Now, it would be acceptable, not so much back then.

I was grading papers for my teacher around 40 years ago and corrected a Jamaican's spelling of colour to color, among other things that caused her to get a failing grade. She pitched an absolute fit because to her it was correctly spelled and would have been enough to get her to a passing grade. The teacher had to step in and settle the argument by stating yes, it's correct in Jamaica, but you're in the US now. Now, it would be acceptable, not so much back then.
I did some work for a US website for a while, one of those places where people provide answers to (mainly) very stupid questions. Being British, I had to make sure that I used US-English spellings. Needless to say, I had a few that slipped through. Some of the moderators were fine and just changed them, but there were one or two who obviously liked their position of power and had a go at me. One of them even accused me of "bad English." My response was, "How did I manage to get a degree in English, then?" Silence ensued.

Mind you, they were a weird lot. On one occasion, I was told that the BBC was "not a trusted source." Yeah, if you like...

That's (sort of) the other thing that makes me laugh a little at that label. They pointed out where they deliberately used the "incorrect" spelling, whereas I would have been a little more generous and said that it's an "alternate" spelling.

Growing up, I read a lot of British literature, and so spellings like that have never looked wrong to me, and I do find, on occasion, when I'm typing or handwriting, I'll use the British spelling and not really notice it until someone corrects me - same thing with "s" and "z" - I was once very angrily told to "knock that limey sh!t off" by a supervisor I had in the AF, because I'd typed some official correspondence with UK spellings instead of American ones. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom