Deep fryer oil

OK not the healthiest cooking method but I enjoy eating home fried fish and chips and a few other things that need deep frying. Last night when I put in a few chips (certainly didn't overload the basket) the oil "foamed" up and the chips were soggy (I had par boiled them and left them in the fridge all day to dry out - my normal method) ... my question ... can the oil become "exhausted" and need replacing (there was also a bit of a 'tang' possibly because I fry fish in the same oil) and is there a recommended method for oil disposal please ?

Hi Roger,

There's 2 reasons why your oil may be foaming, one of which is if it doesn't contain E900 anti foaming agent, it will foam! Some oils sold as organic, dont contain E900

Look on the ingredients, it will say.

Secondly, the foaming may be due to overloading your fryer with "wet" product.

If you have too much moisture in your fryer, bubbles of steam will be let off. Too much of this steam will stop your product from crisping up. TBH I learnt this the hard way with hash browns!

Or the oil may be too dark & dirty with Sediment on the bottom of the fryer. It must be changed with clean oil. :wink:

We use two fryers, one for fish, one for everything else. They are only cheap ones (<£30 each) but do everything asked of them, stocked with a decent quality rapeseed oil. The oil gets changed a couple of times each year, but then they only get used two or three times each month. Also I seldom need to cook above 160 deg C, which helps preserve the oil. If you do overuse oil, particularly at high temperatures, it can accumulate some pretty unpleasant compounds. I assume that if you are triple cooking chips you probably go up to 180/190 deg C for the final cook? That oil will need changing more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom