Deep fryer

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
11:58 PM
We want to get a real deep fryer for cooking with, but I am kind of lost about which is the best brand to buy. We do not own our home so we can't have one custom installed. I need one that is somewhat portable. Any suggestions?

I got rid of my deep fat fryer a long time ago. I now have an actifry. It uses hot air and you only use a tablespoon of oil to cook your food. Its great.there is no smell like you get from a fat fryer, and you can put the innards into a dishwasher unlike a deep fat fryer. And it's a very healthy way to cook

This is the first I am hearing about the actifry. That it is a healthier choice also has my attention. I am wondering about the texture and taste. I just had a quick look on Pinterest and saw some exciting recipes.

I do have a deep fryer but don't even know where I "stored" that right now or even if I still have it. I don't do a lot of frying for health reasons so this actifry has me interested.

Things taste just as nice in an actifry. The only differance is the food isn't swimming in fat, and you don't get that horrible smell. I would never go back to a deep fat fryer.....ever

The smell. Oh how I hate that smell of oil. When my son used to love fries I would to beg him to ease off because the smell alone was "killing"me. Sadly they would taste so good that I would find myself picking at them from time to time:(.

I have to see where I can find an actifry around here and hopefully, it won't cost a fortune. It sounds like a good piece to own.

The actifry sound promising. I would definitely be interested in something that prevents smelling up your entire house when you are frying. However, if you are still interested in a regular deep fryer, I like the Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-touch Deep Fryer. It’s got some great features like the locking cover that spattering and reduces odors. I hate all the oil on my stove when I fry in a regular pan. It has an extra-large viewing window lets you monitor frying without opening the cover.

Oh mercy. I've been through some deep friers. I've tried the prestos, the fry daddies, hamilton beaches and I don't remember what other kinds. Right now I have one by farberware. I've had it about a year and a half, I believe. It's doing pretty well so far, but we'll see. It's been my experience that a deep fryer lasts only about two to two and half years around my house. I don't use one all that heavily, either. My serious frying is done in a large pot over a propane flame out of doors. And if I'm just frying a few potatoes for my husband and myself I generally just do them on the stovetop.
The actifrier sounds pretty interesting. Well, interesting enough for me to google it anyway. I don't see myself buying one, though, at this time. I have a feeling if I did I would use it for a little while and then go back to what I've always used. Kind of like with the George Foreman grill. It was a great idea, I think; but, I don't know. I guess I'm just kind of stuck in my ways.

But you can do everything in it. Chips, fish, sausages, chops, chilli, bolgonese. I love it

But you can do everything in it. Chips, fish, sausages, chops, chilli, bolgonese. I love it

Welsh Dragon, I can see you are totally sold on your actifrier. :)
How much fish or chicken can it fry at a time? What size filets or pieces? I'm guessing it's pretty fast, right?
I don't know, I mean it sounds good. It's just, well, I really am a bit set in my ways. I have such a history of buying small kitchen appliances and discovering that I can do things faster or better the old way. Or that I just plain like and enjoy doing things in whatever my old way is. And then there is often, too, some extra clean-up on top of it that you wouldn't have without the new appliance.
Another thing. Does it store well? That is, does it have a large footprint?

Right. The amount you can do at a time depends on the size of the actifry. There are a couple of sizes. The one we have can take 3 or 4 small pieces of battered or breadcrumbed fish. And you can do enough chips for 4 people. To be honest there id just the 2 of us here, and if the grandchildren are here, then we tend to cook the fish in the oven and the chips in the actifry. The family size actifry im not sure about to be honest, you would have to do some research to find that out. But what I love the most is how healthy it is because you only use 1 spoon of oil to cook the items, and the lack of smell.

The footprint is very good as well. It stores in a cupboard, the diameter is around 13inch by 9inch and it is around 8 inch high. The inside can be taken out and washed or put into a dishwasher.

I think the amounts you can cook in an actifry are similar to the amounts in a fat fryer.

Welsh Dragon.
Even though, like you, most times it's just me and my husband, I think I'd probably have to go with the family size because the size of the whole fish and fillets I generally fix would probably be too large for the unit you have. I'm even betting the "chips" I tend to make with fish are probably larger than yours. In fact, I came home from church and fried some today. I read your last post while I was frying and started googling the actifry again.
You've really made me think about this thing!
Anyway, judging from the reviews you are far from being alone in loving your actifry. I do really appreciate the idea of frying with only one tablespoon of oil. The price, though. Oh my. I think it might take me a few months to wring one out of my husband, but I am most definitely going to make a start in that direction. Ken tends to come around to my way of thinking fairly quickly, especially where food is involved, so I expect to have one before summer.:)
My fish and chips today--I'm afraid I'm not always much of one for beautiful presentation, but you get the general picture.

IMG_20141228_150450_085.jpg

Welsh Dragon.
Even though, like you, most times it's just me and my husband, I think I'd probably have to go with the family size because the size of the whole fish and fillets I generally fix would probably be too large for the unit you have. I'm even betting the "chips" I tend to make with fish are probably larger than yours. In fact, I came home from church and fried some today. I read your last post while I was frying and started googling the actifry again.
You've really made me think about this thing!
Anyway, judging from the reviews you are far from being alone in loving your actifry. I do really appreciate the idea of frying with only one tablespoon of oil. The price, though. Oh my. I think it might take me a few months to wring one out of my husband, but I am most definitely going to make a start in that direction. Ken tends to come around to my way of thinking fairly quickly, especially where food is involved, so I expect to have one before summer.:)
My fish and chips today--I'm afraid I'm not always much of one for beautiful presentation, but you get the general picture.

View attachment 480

That looks delicious.

View attachment 483

Out of the three deep fryers that I have, THIS one is used the most! :wink:

I can't quite make out what kind that is, but it looks familiar. I know I've had one that at least looks like it.
I've been thinking I'd like to have one fryer dedicated to pies and doughnuts, etc., while keeping the present one for everything else--mostly fish and taters, onions or mushrooms; but sometimes chicken or other meats. Thinking about that actifry, though; instead of another regular fryer. I would probably use it (the actifry) for all the fish, meats and veggies and use the old fryer for the pies and doughnuts. Aaaah, man. I'm making myself hungry here.

Back
Top Bottom