Deep frying food - which oil to use

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
7:45 AM
[Mod.edit: this and the following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

Nothing wrong with deep frying as long as the oil isn't a seed oil
Eermm... I´m a bit confused here, and of course, know very little about the supposed effects of different oils. However, the typical oils on the market are canola, sunflower, peanut and corn - all seeds. I´d always heard that lard, beef fat, butter and palm oil were unhealthy. Then we´ve got the (supposed) good oils: olive oil and ghee. Leaves us with few choices, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eermm... I´m a bit confused here, and of course, know very little about the supposed effects of different oils. However, the typical oils on the market are canola, sunflower, peanut and corn - all seeds. I´d always heard that lard, beef fat, butter and palm oil were unhealthy. Then we´ve got the (supposed) good oils: olive oil and ghee. Leaves us with few choices, eh?

Sunflower oil is a seed oil, and seed oils shouldn't be used for deep frying. Canola, corn and peanut oils are not considered seed oils. I use peanut oil (although the price is ridiculous).

CD

Canola is made from what is known in the UK as rapeseed and its most definitely made from seeds.

More clarification is needed in this matter - also as to why seed oils shouldn't be used to deep frying. I've always used sunflower or rapeseed to deep fry. I think we probably need a new thread on the subject...

Canola is made from what is known in the UK as rapeseed and its most definitely made from seeds.

More clarification is needed in this matter - also as to why seed oils shouldn't be used to deep frying. I've always used sunflower or rapeseed to deep fry. I think we probably need a new thread on the subject...
I have no problem if you want to start a different thread or let it run on this one, whatever is easier for the moderators :)

Yeah, I don't want to detail a thread, and if there is enough interest we could start a new thread.

This is going to be very boring for most people and sorry it's taking up space here.

It's not you, it's extremely confusing. The short answer is, and we can go in depth if someone wants but basically refined poly fats like canola, corn and soy the major crops have trace amounts of trans fats in them, which might not concern many except if these oils are your go to oils for daily consumption I'd hesitate. The fats that are the most stable are saturated fats like coconut oil, bacon fat, duck fat, lard, tallow and to a lesser degree butter unless clarified. And contrary to popular belief saturated fat has never caused heart disease. To this day there still is not one controlled study that shows saturated fat is the causation for heart disease. The link was always in it's association in epidemiology studies to groups with the most comorbidity and they played that card for 40 years. It's more commonly accepted in the last 5 years but we're working against generational bias that is not easily shed. All polyunsaturated fats and I do mean every single one should only be consumed in their natural state where the actual container, the seed pod, protects these volatile oils from rancidly and turning into carcinogens and polymers. it was never a good idea to refine seed oils but then WW1 happened. I can go into more detail and reference studies if anyone is interested. We use beef fat in the deep fryer at work and our go to oil otherwise are evoo, duck fat, coconut oil, schmaltz and of course the love sauce I call butter.

Last edited:

We don't have "sexual assault" seed oil in the US. Seriously, there is no way rapeseed oil would sell in the US.

We do have canola oil, which is related, but as far as I know, it is not considered a seed oil, here. I'll have to do some more digging on that.

CD

the whole "seed" thing descriptor is questionable.
peanuts - they are seed
corn kernels - they are seed

saturated, mono-saturated, poly-saturated.
the 'less than' saturated fats/oils are 'changed' by heat. long term use is generally thought to be ungood - but short term aka once and out does not result in 'bad damage stuff'

and whoever is producing deep fried stuff with 30% more calories needs to learn how to deep fry.

We don't have "sexual assault" seed oil in the US. Seriously, there is no way rapeseed oil would sell in the US.

We do have canola oil, which is related, but as far as I know, it is not considered a seed oil, here. I'll have to do some more digging on that.

CD
I moved this quote over to this thread for clarity.
No CD it's definitely a seed oil. Canola is rapeseed except canola originally contained less than 5% erucic acid in the oil and 3 mg per gram of aliphatic glucosinolates in the meal. In Canada where Canola was trademarked had manufacturers further reduce the erucic acid to less than 2% in the mid 80's and then added to the list of GRAS which means "generally recognized as safe" kind of a grandfathered get out of jail card. Both erucic acid and aliphatic glucosinolates showed negative health outcomes. The oil is called LEAR "Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed" In Europe it's still called rapeseed but has been a LEAR oil since the 70"s I believe.

Anyway canola oil is a seed oil and has around 35% polyunsaturated fats and during the deodorizing stage of refining vegetable oil, which uses high heat, trans fats are generated from the poly fats, because like I've been saying, they're fragile and shouldn't go anywhere near heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use good old fashioned corn oil or vegetable oil for the majority of my frying. If I'm deep frying (rare) I save the oil to use again after I've strained it. I'll do 2-3 cycles with the oil before I bottle it up and throw it out (in the trash, not down the drain mind you!).

Back home my folks always tried to recreate the fried fish we bought at the beach, but those vendors on the beach were frying up so many things in the same oil that it basically became seasoned by the residual salt/pepper/garlicpowder from their dishes, so it was an unfair advantage versus the home cook starting with "fresh" oil 😅

I unashamedly deep-fry things, usually in corn or sunflower oil, because that´s what´s available here. However, I doubt very much that ONE ration of chips (french fries) per week is going to kill me off. For daily cooking I use butter or olive oil, and generally have a small amount of that special food group, bacon fat, available. :laugh:
I´m mostly vegetarian, so I eat veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, salads, etc. most days. I love cheese, so I eat plenty of that, too. I guess I´ve got a pretty balanced diet, but I don´t know.
The thing is, I suppose , that while the scaremongers tell us that certain oils can be dangerous, there a NO definitive studies on how these oils, when combined with this diet, or that diet, or another diet, can affect our health. Years ago we were told the Mediterranean diet was ideal and that excessive consumption meat was bad for you. Recently, the Japanese diet has been touted as the perfect recipe for old age.
We really don´t know and I, for one, have more pressing concerns than anguishing over whether oil is good or bad for me.
As someone mentioned in another thread: moderation in everything (except bacon fat).

Deep-frying, I do that just a few times a year because of the mess, but when I do, it's almost always peanut oil.

Everyday pan-frying, I use the lot; olive oil, butter, bacon fat, peanut oil, or grapeseed oil (not to be confused with rapeseed oil). Many times, I even double up on my fats to get a little extra decadence (butter and bacon fat, for example).

I heard for years now duck fat was the be-all-end-all of fats for roast potatoes - tried it three times at home and decided I'm a country boy at heart, because I preferred bacon fat.

If I wanted to deep fry, what would be the best oil to get? There has been a little confusion over which one to choose, as some are good for you & some are not. How can I be sure that I'm getting the correct one? I've been using canola oil. Should I stick with it or try something else? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom