Deep frying food - which oil to use

If I wanted to deep fry, what would be the best oil to get? There has been a little confusion over which one to choose, as some are good for you & some are not. How can I be sure that I'm getting the correct one? I've been using canola oil. Should I stick with it or try something else? :unsure:
From what I´ve learned, corn,canola, refined olive oil,sunflower seed, peanut, soybean, safflower and avocado oils are best. You could add ghee to that list.
What´s the issue? Refined olive oil, avocado and ghee are expensive. Olive oil, soy and ghee have fairly strong flavours, so they´re great to use BUT you have to think of how they might affect the taste of what you´re cooking. Canola is another one I don´t particularly care for, but each to his own.
In Spain, they use buckets of olive oil to fry with, but the food is sensational. Of course, they´re the largest producer in the world.

From what I´ve learned, corn,canola, refined olive oil,sunflower seed, peanut, soybean, safflower and avocado oils are best. You could add ghee to that list.
What´s the issue? Refined olive oil, avocado and ghee are expensive. Olive oil, soy and ghee have fairly strong flavours, so they´re great to use BUT you have to think of how they might affect the taste of what you´re cooking. Canola is another one I don´t particularly care for, but each to his own.
In Spain, they use buckets of olive oil to fry with, but the food is sensational. Of course, they´re the largest producer in the world.
Ghee is basically butter, fine for pan frying but deep frying? Never heard of that, maybe due to the expense as you rightly pointed out.

I use beef fat for deep frying pretty much exclusively. Olive oil, butter, clarified butter, coconut oil, duck fat and schmaltz for other than deep frying. I also use virgin avocado sometimes in certain cold dishes.

If I wanted to deep fry, what would be the best oil to get? There has been a little confusion over which one to choose, as some are good for you & some are not. How can I be sure that I'm getting the correct one? I've been using canola oil. Should I stick with it or try something else? :unsure:

A lot of people use canola. It gets recommended on cooking videos. I think it is okay. You need a neutral tasting oil for deep frying, so your choices are narrowed by that. I use peanut oil, just because its what I've been using for a long time (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

CD

Olive oil, butter, clarified butter, coconut oil, duck fat and schmaltz for other than deep frying.

Yes, I wouldn't use any of those for deep frying, because they are not neutral in flavor. I only use those for pan frying -- when I want the oil/fat to be part of the flavor profile.

CD

Some people (✋) find canola has a slight fishy smell/taste. That's what caused me to move to peanut oil for deep frying. I do that so few times a year, I don't mind the expense. Of course, it does mean my onion rings work out to about $3US a ring. :laugh:

I do use coconut oil for popcorn.

I don't ever cook with vegetable, corn or canola oil any more. My high heat oils are either avocado or grapeseed (or if Asian or it would otherwise be appropriate) coconut oil. For deep fat frying I use safflower a similar seed oil, as the ones I use for regular (and small volume fat) are too expensive. I am also fine using peanut oil, if I know any guests aren't allergic.

I don't ever cook with vegetable, corn or canola oil any more. My high heat oils are either avocado or grapeseed (or if Asian or it would otherwise be appropriate) coconut oil. For deep fat frying I use safflower a similar seed oil, as the ones I use for regular (and small volume fat) are too expensive. I am also fine using peanut oil, if I know any guests aren't allergic.
If it's refined peanut oil the allergens are destroyed and can be consumed. The natural protein that's in unrefined peanut oil which is what creates the reaction are destroyed in the deodorizing process of the refining process. Cold pressed or natural will of course retain the protein and therefore should be avoided. Best bet is to email the manufacturer to be sure, some factories might have cross contamination depending on the facility.

If it's refined peanut oil the allergens are destroyed and can be consumed. The natural protein that's in unrefined peanut oil which is what creates the reaction are destroyed in the deodorizing process of the refining process. Cold pressed or natural will of course retain the protein and therefore should be avoided. Best bet is to email the manufacturer to be sure, some factories might have cross contamination depending on the facility.
Serious thanks for the update on this.
I do have one potential guest - well, not since COVID - who would probably decline even properly vetted peanut oil, but this is truly good to know.

Back
Top Bottom